PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

punkrockarmy

Might Stick Around
Jan 13, 2013
My new pipe I ordered came in the mail last night so I inspected it and found no flaws. It was drilled properly and everything but the pre-carb was making me a little worried to smoke it as is due to not liking the taste it gives off during the first several smokes. I took it out with some grain alcohol and let it dry over night. I lit up a bowl of Peterson's Gold Blend this evening and boy was it flavorful! Bare wood is actually better (to my preference) than nasty pre-carb! The bowl lasted a good two hours and I was ultra careful to sip slowly to prevent the bowl from getting too hot. If it smokes this well on just the first bowl, I can't wait to know how it smokes 50 bowl or 100 bowls from now! :puffy:

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
I have one too. But I have been putting off breaking mine in. I wondered if I should try to de-pre-carb it. I might just have a more serious look at that now.

reap

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2013
I have a bent Viking. Although I like the way it hangs, the looks and the bowl size I've yet to enjoy a bowl without it being overly moist and gurgling. I've designated it as an English pipe and will continue trying it to se if it sorts itself out. On a side note my father, who doesn't smoke has indicated that's the pipe he would want if he were to take up the pipe.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Sometimes the choke point, not all the time is the tendon, I had several pipes with big thick tendons and a tiny airway, I opened it up like Roth said and viloa it smoked like a different pipe. The old cajun

reap

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2013
I'll try that. I like everything about the Viking other then the slight gurgle I get from mine, and its most likely the way I smoke it or a slightly off drill job, there's enough of them out there. It's a well put together pipe and aesthetically pleasing.

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
Well I was doing a pre-smoke clean to get rid of any excess stain and just generally make sure that my alcohol soaked pipe cleaners were coming out stain free. Well I did get quite a bit of stain out of the shank/tenon area. In the process some excess alcohol dripped down into the bowl. I was holding the pipe with one finger in the bowl to get a good grip. When I removed my finger it looked like it was covered in black paint. Well de-pre carb it is then. So I spent another 30-40 minutes scrubbing inside the bowl with swabs until almost all traces of the pre-carb was gone. So although I was just going to try it coated, now I guess I will get the real briar experience. I let it dry for 2 days and might have my first smoke out of it with some PA or CH if I get the chance tonight.
Before:
P1050261-small_zps25a125e6.jpg

After:
P1050335-small_zps1e3fdad8.jpg

There is still a little finish just inside the rim and a slight black haze. I have not decided whether I feel meticulous enough to worry about sanding this off, or if I will just call this ready to smoke.
:puffy:

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
Well the Carter Hall is out on the plate drying. Agonized over several break-in recommendations. Gonna finally take the plunge and break my first briar in. I think I will put all the anal routines aside and just fill it most of the way and smoke it slow. No concoctions, no involved fractional fill work-up. I'm sure once this one is in steady rotation I won't think twice about it on my second and subsequent briars...
:puffy:

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
My hands are about medium sized, although a little beefy (I'm a mechanic). The bowl is likely a little smallish to some of you guys. But it is 3/4" x 1-1/2". I dunno is that a ladies pipe or am I just an ogre?
:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.