PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombraider

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2013
I purchased a few ounces of H&H Magnum Opus to branch out. I'm normally smoking MM965, Nightcap, PS Proper English and a few Burley blends. Anyway the first bowl out oft used bulldog last night caused my tounge to sting. It burned well and I was smoking slowly so it was not tounge bite. I'm just wondering if there is a Virginia or Perique in this blend that is different from Nightcap or the others that is hitting me a different way or if I just need to cellar it to let it mellow. I will wait a few days and try it again to see if it/I react the same way. Any viewpoints or advice would be greatly appreciated.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Stings, not sings? That's too bad. There's hardly any VAs in Magnum Opus. I really like it, but would like more VAs in it. Anyhow, I wonder if it wasn't one of the oriental varieties that caused the trouble. Barring that, maybe the particular VA used is processed with something that causes that reaction. I get a real tongue-tingling sensation from certain European flakes -- particularly Olsen My Own Blend 111, for ex., but also Orlik Golden Slice and MacBaren VA #1.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
MO is wonderful blend. I also wonder if it's the Orientals that are affecting you. There is only one place in the world producing perique so if you don't have any issues with other blends then you can rule that out.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I get a real tongue-tingling sensation from certain European flakes -- particularly Olsen My Own Blend 111, for ex., but also Orlik Golden Slice and MacBaren VA #1.
I get that same tingle from OGS - it's not bite, just a tingly, fizzy feeling on the tongue. It's usually gone a few moments after I finish the pipe. If you don't feel burned a few minutes after smoking, perhaps you're just getting a little "pepper" or tingle.

Status
Not open for further replies.