PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Being quite new to pipes I got an old Meerchaum [along with others] in a "lot" and decided to refurb it since the tenon did not fit at all.I haven't finished it yet but I am curious if anyone can tell me what it is or has any advice on how to make the stem fit and/or how to "finish it".Here are some pics so far.
WP_0000081.jpg
WP_000007.jpg
WP_000010-1.jpg
WP_000009.jpg
WP_000029.jpg

bbauer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Livermore, CA
Hey I wish I could help because I just won, but unfortunately I have no experience with meers. With that being said, if anyone has any advice about meers at all then you should let us all know. I just won my first on ebay and it shoudl be here later this week, but it sure is going to need a lot of work. Ive cleaned up briar but never meer.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
This was my first refurb ever [still unfinished] but seemed to be more work than a briar I did the other day...[which turned out beautiful.. surprisingly]Unfortunately no pics...BOO

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Although it's really hard to tell from the pictures,it looks like maybe that stem is actually two pieces,the first of which should be glued into the shank--as a shank extension. Think maybe your stem has become stuck in it and the extension was pulled from the shank.

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
Think maybe your stem has become stuck in it and the extension was pulled from the shank.
Would sticking it in the freezer cause these two pieces to be able to be twisted apart, do you think?

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I thought so, too ejames. Good thing I'm not going completely insane. Mine had a similar problem, but my mortise and tenon were different than this one. It looks to me like the mortise is actually stuck or glued to the tenon and the previous owner was just unscrewing it from the shank. I would soak the mortise/stem mess in bleach to get rid of the oxidation and see if maybe that also loosens whatever is binding them together. Aussielass' suggestion about the freezer is good, too. as long as the threads line up, you should be able to screw the mortise back in and take that part and the actual stem (which appears to function as the tenon) apart normally. you could shine up the silver with a bit of polish, but mask off the pipe. Looks like the shank has a crack, which could be the problem with fitment, if it exists. I'd just epoxy that sucker if it hasn't been already. As far as the "finish", Meers are supposed to color and I think the scratches and wear give it character.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
OOHHH!!! That could be it because the tenon is threaded as is the shank and tenon has all kinds of gunk that won't come off...Also the stem/extension were different shades with the top part having ALOT of oxidation and the lower part with none...Thanks,also any Ideas as to how to make it fit properly?

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
it's almost like the person before didn't know it was a threaded stem and pulled it until it came apart..ripping the wood out with it...so about .75mm off

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
I've heard that doing multi-layers of super glue will do the trick but I'm not sure about it with the ish-threading

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
Clear nail varnish run around the inside of an extension etc. to build up layer upon layer of thickness works a treat, as does rubbing some beeswax on the inside of the extension. I'd try the clear nail varnish first, it won't adhere properly over the top of wax.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The SmokersForum has a entire Meerschaum section with a bunch of stickies on meer refurbishment and care. Give that a shot if you still need help. That moderator, "Fred" is pretty much the authority on meerschaum pipes. I believe he is also a member here.

Status
Not open for further replies.