PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Society smokes food for ingestion, and grills with charcoal. I wouldn't consider the smoking buildup on latakia any more egregious than grilled and smoked food. Equals would make sense.
which grilled and smoked meat are considered the least serious kind of carcinogenic. Again to make a difference you'd need to eat enough to kill you other ways first.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
"They" say tobacco specific nitrosamines TSNAs cause cancer. Evaluation of the evidence that tobacco-specific nitrosamines (TSNA) cause cancer in humans - PubMed - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2069713/

I've heard, but don't know the topic well enough, that a major source of TSNAs is the enzymatic conversion of nicotine to nornicotine which happens in the early phase of air curing and fire curing but not during flue curing because of the heat. This is why air cured tobacco is not allowed in Canadian cigarettes. The questions though are, is Latakia actually fire cured or is it sun cured and then smoked? and is sun curing more like air curing or flue curing?

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
So, yes, fire (smoke) curing produces a tobacco with a smokier odor, but all tobacco is converted to smoke, water, ash, and soot in a pipes chamber... all tobacco directly below my burning ember is receiving further fire curing just before combustion.
So the question is:
Is a tobacco more likely to cause irritation if it is exposed to smoke prior to being converted to smoke?
Or:
Because it smells smokier, is there somehow more smoke in the smoke?
Is the second half of a cigarette more dangerous than the first?
Or:
Someone smoking smoked smokes said smoked smokes smoke smokier smoke than unsmoked smokes. Is the smokey smoked smoke's smokiness signaling something scandalous?

Meh.

RKRoadie1960

Lurker
Apr 4, 2021
In the big grand scheme of things this question is I know... meaningless, but would you agree or disagree that fired cured tobaccos like Kentucky and Latakia are worse for the mucosal membranes and even lungs with second hand inhalation(also environmentally being around it, handling it, in addition to smoking it)
I feel like if a non smoking family member had allergies or issues those specific types of tobacco would cause problems - every time I’m around it it hits my nostrils and leaves me smelling fireplace odor. Personally, I actually hate it until the actual lighting occurs:confused:
Would anyone agree or disagree that these are more irritating leaves and blends?
To each his or her own of course, but I personally love the smell of Latakia right out of the "tin" and often smoke it by itself... One of the best smokes around in my humble opinion.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I love fire cured tobacco. Fire curing adds so much to tobacco. There appear to be quite a few tobaccos that are fire cured. And I gather that there are different woods and methods of fire curing too. My favorite is what people call fire cured kentucky. But I have come to learn that there is a lot of variation within that category. Lately I am particularly enjoying the African style "kentucky." I find that it has less of the food-like flavor of the American style kentucky. It is much more earthy, herbal, and incense like. Nothing at all like BBQ.

I think that a high alkaline smoke is what makes a tobacco feel rough on the nasal passages. In my experience fire cured tobaccos tend to be more alkaline.

I am very skeptical when people say that tobacco or smoke are a problem for their allergies. I am allergic to so many things that even my allergist was surprised by my test results. I am allergic to basically every environmental allergen and to countless foods. My food allergies are severe and many can be lethal to me. My environmental allergies (pollen, mold, dust, dander, etc) are also quite severe enough that they often interfere with daily life. I am allergic to enough things that no matter the season I am always under assault. As a child I was asthmatic and was at times hospitalized for it.

Smoking is not a problem for me. In fact it appears to even help my allergy symptoms at times. Tobacco, and specifically nicotine is medicinal. Nobody will convince me otherwise. I would bet that most people who cite their allergies when complaining about smokers just dislike smoke and are using their allergies as an excuse.

Fire cured tobaccos are basically smoked tobacco right? Are smoked meats more harmful to our health than regular meats? Maybe, but I don't think the harm is significantly higher, and even it if was I don't think I care. I will continue to smoke what I like and anyone who has a problem with it is free to find substitute company. In my experience people (even anti-smokers) tolerate my smoking when they take a liking to me.
KGS
I’ll bet many are shaking their heads both yes or no. I have mild asthma. Pipe never triggers it. In fact, especially when sleeping—I’ve found that after retro-haling that I breathe more freely and can sleep much better.

Call that crazy, but that’s my experience. Maybe it works in the same way a nasal spray would? All I know is that I can breathe more clearly.

A century ago and up until recent decades, Doctors touted tobacco as a home remedy. We laugh now, but but looking at only risks at the exclusion of benefits is out of balance.

We all know the importance of stress reduction on overall health.

Sorry you suffer so many allergies. That has to be tough. I have very few and only at certain months of summer pollen.

kgs

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2021
South Florida
I have also noticed that smoking helps my asthma somewhat. Nasal sprays reduce inflammation. Nicotine temporarily constricts blood vessels, right? I think that nicotine has some anti-inflammatory properties. So I think there is a chance that smoking can reduce nasal/sinus inflammation. In fact, I think that nicotine reduces inflammation throughout the body.

I believe that nicotine has medicinal and therapeutic properties. I find that it is very similar to caffeine, which is an ingredient some headache relief pills. Clearly there is a stigma surrounding tobacco, which accounts for modern medicine's reluctance to research the effectiveness of nicotine as a therapy. It is ironic that caffeine appears to be the more addictive substance.

I can skip smoking for several days if I have to. I do not suffer cognitively or otherwise from taking a break from tobacco. It is not enjoyable to stop smoking, but it doesn't result in any real problems. In contrast, if I skip a cup of coffee my mood and thinking are immediately affected. It also takes several weeks for me to adjust to a lower dose of caffeine. For me, caffeine is the more problematic chemical by far.

Reactions: JOHN72
Status
Not open for further replies.