PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
In the big grand scheme of things this question is I know... meaningless, but would you agree or disagree that fired cured tobaccos like Kentucky and Latakia are worse for the mucosal membranes and even lungs with second hand inhalation(also environmentally being around it, handling it, in addition to smoking it)
I feel like if a non smoking family member had allergies or issues those specific types of tobacco would cause problems - every time I’m around it it hits my nostrils and leaves me smelling fireplace odor. Personally, I actually hate it until the actual lighting occurs:confused:
Would anyone agree or disagree that these are more irritating leaves and blends?

• Wow
Reactions: JOHN72

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Well there are two unrelated questions in that proposition. Is Latakia annoying to non-smokers and even many pipe smokers? Yes. Unless you’re smoking it.

Is it inherently more likely to irritate the mucus membranes or lungs as secondary or second hand smoke? Doubtful although I’m unaware of any scientific studies either showing or refuting such. I can’t see what would cause any reactions other than its unpleasant (to some) odor. Nothing inherently more likely to cause a physical reaction or physiological response. Doesn’t preclude someone complaining that it stinks to them though.

If it tastes good, and you really enjoy it…. it’s probably bad…. in some way. Sometimes good is bad, and bad is good. Now if jogging were as enjoyable as a bowl of Charring Cross or Bengal Flakes….

I would suggest that someone who has a loved one with a sinus thing, just not smoke around them. Crazy idea…. I know

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
yeah somewhat more not good for you. I don't think it's critical but technically it's got more bad stuff for you in it. Now if that actually makes a difference when smoked is a whole other can o worms.
You have to define "bad stuff" first. Latakia has the least amount of nicotine of all of the genres. So if nicotine is bad, latakia would be the best.

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
I would tend to agree. It would be irritating to have a family member...non smoking family member that had allergies or issues those specific types of tobacco.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

kgs

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2021
South Florida
I love fire cured tobacco. Fire curing adds so much to tobacco. There appear to be quite a few tobaccos that are fire cured. And I gather that there are different woods and methods of fire curing too. My favorite is what people call fire cured kentucky. But I have come to learn that there is a lot of variation within that category. Lately I am particularly enjoying the African style "kentucky." I find that it has less of the food-like flavor of the American style kentucky. It is much more earthy, herbal, and incense like. Nothing at all like BBQ.

I think that a high alkaline smoke is what makes a tobacco feel rough on the nasal passages. In my experience fire cured tobaccos tend to be more alkaline.

I am very skeptical when people say that tobacco or smoke are a problem for their allergies. I am allergic to so many things that even my allergist was surprised by my test results. I am allergic to basically every environmental allergen and to countless foods. My food allergies are severe and many can be lethal to me. My environmental allergies (pollen, mold, dust, dander, etc) are also quite severe enough that they often interfere with daily life. I am allergic to enough things that no matter the season I am always under assault. As a child I was asthmatic and was at times hospitalized for it.

Smoking is not a problem for me. In fact it appears to even help my allergy symptoms at times. Tobacco, and specifically nicotine is medicinal. Nobody will convince me otherwise. I would bet that most people who cite their allergies when complaining about smokers just dislike smoke and are using their allergies as an excuse.

Fire cured tobaccos are basically smoked tobacco right? Are smoked meats more harmful to our health than regular meats? Maybe, but I don't think the harm is significantly higher, and even it if was I don't think I care. I will continue to smoke what I like and anyone who has a problem with it is free to find substitute company. In my experience people (even anti-smokers) tolerate my smoking when they take a liking to me.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I love fire cured tobacco. Fire curing adds so much to tobacco. There appear to be quite a few tobaccos that are fire cured. And I gather that there are different woods and methods of fire curing too. My favorite is what people call fire cured kentucky. But I have come to learn that there is a lot of variation within that category. Lately I am particularly enjoying the African style "kentucky." I find that it has less of the food-like flavor of the American style kentucky. It is much more earthy, herbal, and incense like. Nothing at all like BBQ.

I think that a high alkaline smoke is what makes a tobacco feel rough on the nasal passages. In my experience fire cured tobaccos tend to be more alkaline.

I am very skeptical when people say that tobacco or smoke are a problem for their allergies. I am allergic to so many things that even my allergist was surprised by my test results. I am allergic to basically every environmental allergen and to countless foods. My food allergies are severe and many can be lethal to me. My environmental allergies (pollen, mold, dust, dander, etc) are also quite severe enough that they often interfere with daily life. I am allergic to enough things that no matter the season I am always under assault. As a child I was asthmatic and was at times hospitalized for it.

Smoking is not a problem for me. In fact it appears to even help my allergy symptoms at times. Tobacco, and specifically nicotine is medicinal. Nobody will convince me otherwise. I would bet that most people who cite their allergies when complaining about smokers just dislike smoke and are using their allergies as an excuse.

Fire cured tobaccos are basically smoked tobacco right? Are smoked meats more harmful to our health than regular meats? Maybe, but I don't think the harm is significantly higher, and even it if was I don't think I care. I will continue to smoke what I like and anyone who has a problem with it is free to find substitute company. In my experience people (even anti-smokers) tolerate my smoking when they take a liking to me.
I have a high admiration for the fact that you have had allergies all your life and still managed to take up pipes and thrive with them to the extent that it will prolong your life and vitality. Bertrand Russell(“smoking pipe saved my life”) and Carl jung come to mind

kgs

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2021
South Florida
I have a high admiration for the fact that you have had allergies all your life and still managed to take up pipes and thrive with them to the extent that it will prolong your life and vitality. Bertrand Russell(“smoking pipe saved my life”) and Carl jung come to mind
Thank you for that. Freud said that "cigars have served me for precisely fifty years as protection and a weapon in the combat of life." Smoking has provided me comfort in difficult times when there was no one else to help me. A good smoke is very comforting. A good smoke can also get me ready for a tough situation.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
You have to define "bad stuff" first. Latakia has the least amount of nicotine of all of the genres. So if nicotine is bad, latakia would be the best.
anything you burn is going to have things that are considered carcinogenic. Anything. But I doubt it's enough to make a difference. For example smoked meat is potentially carcinogenic you'd have to eat a massive amount to make a difference. I think latakia would be the same way you'd have to smoke a ridiculous amount to make it worse for you, but technically it does have more components that are carcinogenic then now fire cured tobacco.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Status
Not open for further replies.