PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Good Morning,
I thought the group might be interested in seeing some pictures of the cottage boathouse we started in Aug of this year. We put the finishing touches on it Friday and handed over the keys to the owners. This is the second boathouse my company has completed and I think this one turned out quite nice. Given everyones affinity to photo's and interest in what each other does I thought this might be an interesting post. Any feedback positive or negative is appreciated. I know there are some talented carpenters in the group so ideas for future projects are always welcome. Enjoy!
098-150x111.jpg

083-150x111.jpg

097-150x111.jpg

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Nice looking boathouse! One thing I've always wondered, when seeing these from the lake, is how they hold up to the big freeze? I've seen ice just wreck docks that weren't pulled early enough. Do structures like this rely on heavy duty pilings to see them through winter?
Thanks for sharing this with us.
-- Pat

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Hi Pat,
Yes you are bang on. There are pilings that are driven deep into the bedrock below. It typically takes nearly as long to prep the site and drive the pilings as it does to frame the structure. We did site prep the first week of Aug and it was the last week of Aug when we started framing. The roof took quite a while due to all the cedar shake shingles.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
That is a gorgeous cottage. I would hate to imagine how much it costs especially in Lake Muskoka. The price you pay for being two hours away from the city...

Good job, and I only wish that when my cottage is being built, it is with such great craftsmanship as shown above.
Shutterbug

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
There are pilings that are driven deep into the bedrock below.
Thanks Piperl12. How do you get down there? Pile driver and steel? Lots of sonotube and concrete? That has to be a tricky operation.
And I agree entirely with Shutterbug. That's a boathouse to dream about.
-- Pat

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Thanks guys, there are two main ways to build a base for a boathouse. The first is using a barge mounted pile driver. Looks like a big slide hammer typically piles will go down around 20+ feet. This lake was fairly easy because there was a lot of rock that wasn't too deep. The second method which is gaining popularity again in this area is cribs. Essentially a metal or wooden frame work that is held into place with aluminum rods. I have seen two level boat houses that you could live in and some people up here do that are built on cribs. It all depends on the needs of the customer and more and more the bylaws of the area you are building in. The crib is usually back filled with crushed stone and rock. Both methods work. I tend to like a piling system myself. I think it keeps things in place better especially around areas of heavy outflow of ice in the spring.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks for that explanation, mate. I appreciate the insight greatly. One of those small niggling questions in life is now answered.
Cheers,
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.