PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I recently got a Pipemaster lighter in the matte black finish. Less than a week later, I already see the finish coming off at the corners and near the nozzle. Is this common with this finish? I know IM Corona are known for their quality so this surprises me. I love the lighter otherwise.
Thinking about stripping the finish as there seems to be a gold color showing underneath which could be cool.

My questions: would this void my warranty and what might I use to go about stripping it should I decide to?

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
I'm not sure, but any modifications to any product will almost always void your warranty. Did you contact the company? As for stripping, it really depends on a few factors. Are you trying to order or go out and find a specific product, or are you looking for a DIY household stripper? If you bought the lighter recently, and paid a lot for it, I'd just contact the company. There's all kinds of stuff you can use to strip the finish, but you may end up damaging your lighter and voiding the warranty. That said, I've always just used Dot-3 brake fluid to strip paint and finishes from various metals.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Yes, this does happen. I have two where the finish has worn off. I only keep it in an empty pocket so there is nothing to scratch against. I think it adds character but considering the price of these lighters, it should not wear off as fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.