PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I am curious why some even high grade, un-smoked pipes can suffer from a faded finish (stain).
I have bought a few estate, un-smoked pipes that have a faded finish. It appears to be a problem with Italian makers more than others however I have a HT Dunhill that had the same problem. Surely it can not be that hard to apply a stain that will last?
Several Savinelli pipes I see as un-smoked estates on one of the larger vendors note that the finish has faded. Even so they still are around the $700 mark so why can a maker with a long prestigious history still have this issue? My other concern is that I have several high-end Savinelli pipes that may start to fade soon.......
Is re-staining an easy job if it gets too annoying? (I would love to get my Duhill re-stained actually)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Time, exposure to light and air, and heat will make any stain fade. A good waxing can help improve the appearance and make the color pop.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
You can restain if you choose or you could buy paragon and halcyon wax and give them a good hand buffing.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Where are these faded finishes? I want me some.
Of course, everyone has their preferences, but to me the only thing less attractive than the exaggerated colour of a new finish is a high gloss finish.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Walk a sunny beach and take particular notice of the young but, leathery skinned thirty year olds. Long time exposure to the elements will ravage nearly everything. Do with your pipes as one would do with the over-exposed young ladies. Dim the lights and ... conjure up images of Loni or Gina.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Show piece pipes sometimes get displayed in store windows or in bright interior lighting, so that might account for some of these. I've had pipes for thirty to forty years that have been kept out of direct sun or intense room light, and they show no signs of fading, and none of them cost $700. Mine include various brands and nations of origin. Probably, I would not spend top dollar on something that is faded. That would be a reason for a serious discount.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Interestingly on almost all of my new pipes (especially smooth Italian makes)this factory finish started faded away after a few smokes, perhaps heat may cause this,but in order to restore the original luster back I can give those a good hand or wheel puffing should I want to

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I guess the issue with these un-smoked examples is that the fading is not uniform but usually only in one area which then stands out a bit as strange. Uniform fading in an older smoked pipe is fine.
I will try the wax and polish method on my Dunhill and see how it comes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.