PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
I just got Gawith Rum Flake from the recent drop. Its supposed to be rich, sweet, rum and maple. I stuffed it into a small Boswell poker pipe. All I tasted was cream and burley. I chopped and gravity fed into an older Pererson Wicklow from reborn pipes. Again, burley, nothing else. A little creamy. I rubbed it out with my fingers. Finally, some scent on my fingers .. . perhaps maple. I put it into an older Bertram pipe. Perhaps a bit of flavor. Tasted good but couldn't put my finger on it. Its an aromatic but to me, sooo mild. Point is, there was a subtle change for the good. I'm beginning to think when a tobacco and method works good in one of your pipes, lock it down. I'm in this for the pleasure and peace of mind. With that particular tobacco, in that particular pipe, with a rubbed out packing. I had my first enjoyment with this tobacco. I will now repeat the same process in the same pipe to see if it is sustainable. Quite a revelation for me. Still a noob.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I wouldn’t call it an aromatic, really. The toppings are very mildly applied and meant to accentuate the tobaccos, not drive the boat.

Rum is commonly used in such a way. Seeing it on a label does not necessarily denote an aromatic sugar bomb. In fact I’d say most of the time it doesn’t, with all the various Navy Flakes out there.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
If they've killed the flavoring added to that one as well, I give up.:( It used to be a maple/rum bomb, almost like a spice cake.
The only batch I’ve had was bulk I bought in 2019 FWIW. While certainly topped it was definitely tobacco forward. If I recall correctly I’ve seen pictures of some Deep Hollow in your cellar. While different flavors obviously, I’d say the strength of the topping was about in that realm. Certainly nothing close to goop like Sutliff Rum and Maple or RO Bold Rum.

That being said, I recently opened a newer tin of Bob’s Chocolate Flake, previously one of my favorite blends, and it had totally changed. Not even close to the same blend. Definitely some changes going on over there.

Last edited:

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I just got Gawith Rum Flake from the recent drop. Its supposed to be rich, sweet, rum and maple. I stuffed it into a small Boswell poker pipe. All I tasted was cream and burley. I chopped and gravity fed into an older Pererson Wicklow from reborn pipes. Again, burley, nothing else. A little creamy. I rubbed it out with my fingers. Finally, some scent on my fingers .. . perhaps maple. I put it into an older Bertram pipe. Perhaps a bit of flavor. Tasted good but couldn't put my finger on it. Its an aromatic but to me, sooo mild. Point is, there was a subtle change for the good. I'm beginning to think when a tobacco and method works good in one of your pipes, lock it down. I'm in this for the pleasure and peace of mind. With that particular tobacco, in that particular pipe, with a rubbed out packing. I had my first enjoyment with this tobacco. I will now repeat the same process in the same pipe to see if it is sustainable. Quite a revelation for me. Still a noob.
Usually, I smoke blends way they came. Flakes are little less flavorful that way. When rubbed out, the taste intensifies, and more uniform.

Reactions: vosBghos

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’ve only had GH Rum Twist, not much rum on it, and I thought to try the Rum Flake, but others said it too doesn’t have much rum going on.

The only intense rum blend I’ve had to date is Wilke 515, if you haven’t smoked it, this is a Rum Bomb! :) 💣

If you didn’t know John has been adding more rum to it and Rum Cake.

Reactions: John Brandt

John Brandt

Might Stick Around
Aug 25, 2020
Fall River MA
I’ve only had GH Rum Twist, not much rum on it, and I thought to try the Rum Flake, but others said it too doesn’t have much rum going on.

The only intense rum blend I’ve had to date is Wilke 515, if you haven’t smoked it, this is a Rum Bomb! :) 💣

If you didn’t know John has been adding more rum to it and Rum Cake.
We started adding more Rum back in 2017 when we kept getting request to add more. Like to make you folks happy.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I too had some of those experiences, and since they were near the beginning of the journey I questioned whether or not I was ACTUALLY experiencing that, or hallucinating it.

Turns out, those can be a little bit rare and I found I should pay attention to the magic when and if it happens. It often IS repeatable.

Some pipes and blends don't care at all. Some pipes love a genre, and some pipes and blends were just meant to be together - all revolving around your particular path of puffing of course.

That's the kind of thing that sort of encompasses the "hobby" aspect to me, over and above the pleasant pastime of piping and contemplating.

Reactions: clynch

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Semi related , Samuel Gawith chocolate flake seems Like a Virginia with a slight nod toward chocolate where as Gawith and Hoggarth Bob’s chocolate flake is like adding a teaspoon of co co to the bowl , loved both , rubbed out and dried for 45 min to an hour

Jun 9, 2018
England
If they've killed the flavoring added to that one as well, I give up.:( It used to be a maple/rum bomb, almost like a spice cake.
I've got some jarred up from about 3 years ago and I totally agree. The stuff I have has a pretty strong maple/rum/spices flavour.

Does anyone have any info on why the toppings on Gawith blends aren't as strong at the moment? Is it just a batch or is it a trend? I can't see why they wouldn't put as much topping on as they usually do.
I know there are variations between batches but I've seen people talking about this for a while now.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
We started adding more Rum back in 2017 when we kept getting request to add more. Like to make you folks happy.

I had some of the 515, gifted to me a few months back with the extra Rum. I personally like the original and remember before, you told me, we can still request it.

I plan to get some of the original in a little bit.

Have you thought of creating different styles of Aros, that are not the typical traditional types of Aro blends?

I’m always on the hunt for different/unique Aros, and even though Gawith’s Grousemoor has been around, I consider it more unique among Aros, and Esoterica Dunbar too, with it’s unique Apricot fermented notes.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Brandt

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I've got some jarred up from about 3 years ago and I totally agree. The stuff I have has a pretty strong maple/rum/spices flavour.

Does anyone have any info on why the toppings on Gawith blends aren't as strong at the moment? Is it just a batch or is it a trend? I can't see why they wouldn't put as much topping on as they usually do.
I know there are variations between batches but I've seen people talking about this for a while now.
The new Bob’s Chocolate Flake I had actually had noticeably MORE topping than the old blend. Not in a good way.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg