PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
It doesn't have to be an art, and the way to get it right quickly is to be slightly scientific. A five buck hygrometer is worth a year of intense experimentation.

Even then, there is a lot of experimentation in determining which blends you like at which moisture level, how tight you like to pack each blend, the ideal pipes for any given blend or genre, and every other detail you can possibly think of that might help or hinder the smoking of your pipe. All the little things can add up to create one of those seemingly magical smoking experiences where everything comes together perfectly, or maybe you packed the pipe a little too tightly or didn't dry your tobacco just quite enough and the experience is merely good but not great.

For me, after years of experimentation, the guidelines are pretty easy: Virginia blends dried almost crispy, latakia blends dried to where they are still pliable but if dried any further will start to get crispy, and aromatics are smoked as wet as the come from the manufacturer. Everything packed pretty loosely, with aromatics being packed just a little looser than anything else.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
used to dry everything. lately, some blends, i don't dry at all. yes, the smoke is little warmer, but with a bit of breathing control, it seems to give more rich flavor and i'm enjoying it more.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, what ever works for you is where it's at, b88.

Dawg wrote:
For me, after years of experimentation, the guidelines are pretty easy: Virginia blends dried almost crispy, latakia blends dried to where they are still pliable but if dried any further will start to get crispy, and aromatics are smoked as wet as the come from the manufacturer. Everything packed pretty loosely, with aromatics being packed just a little looser than anything else.

Be interesting to see if the levels you achieve above are actually close in moisture content. And I've dried down some PG'd stuff to below 50% RH, and it still feels as wet as can be.

Thepipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2020
WV
I typically prefer my tobacco pretty dry, but every tobacco is different and some blends I prefer with a little moisture. For me, I usually get a pipefull of tobacco out and let it dry on my desk until it is where I want. This works for most people but some areas are high humidity and this method may take too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.