PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zobbit

Lurker
Jan 17, 2014
Hello everyone, I am a new pipe smoker and would like to try an English blend. Can anyone give me a list of a few "must try" English blend tobaccos?

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I love that "zobbit". Dunhill medium mix, IRC Dr Bradley, McClelland British Woods, all middle of the road.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
zobbit:
Welcome!
We can probably suggest a hundred blends for you! :)
Here are some of my favorite English blends that are all "standard" or close-to-standard in their make-up:
Brebbia Preludio Mixture No. 60

Butera Royal Vintage: Latakia No. 1

Dan Tobacco London Blend #1000

Dunhill Standard Mixture

Dunhill London Mixture

G.L. Pease Maltese Falcon

G.L. Pease Meridian
Bob

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I'm sure you will get many responses, but perhaps instead of middle of the road blends you should look at what some would call starter or light English blends. I am relatively new to latakia myself, and I'm loving the light creamy smoke of Sutliff's blend No 5 for a starter English, latakia is definitely present but its subtle and a little less overpowering than some others. Once you cut your teeth on that then maybe move on to other more latakia forward blends.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
Sutliff's Bosphorus Cruise

Frog Morton (any/all)

McClelland's Cyprian Mixture #2040

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Sutliff #5 - Easy, mild, not complicated, delicious.
Dunhill Early Morning Pipe (EMP) - Powerfully smokey.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
And Zobbit, for $6.11 for a 1.5oz tin of No5 you aren't out any major coin to try something new. I plan on cellaring several pounds of it as it just is such a nice smooth smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Altadis Fox and Hound in bulk; Sutliff's Westminster; G.L. Pease Westminster; Forg Morton Original.

Pipes and Cigars has good tobacco pages that identify both the type of tobacco, in this case English,

the constituent tobaccos in the blend, and the strength from mild to medium to strong. There is

a wide, wide selection of mild-to-medium English blends.
Two other favorites are Nat Sherman 536, from the NYC tobacconist (you could order by phone, but

they don't sell online) and Dunhill My Mixture 965, which may be a little strong as a starter English blend.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
My three favorites are McClelland's Old Dog, Sutliff's Man's Best Friend and Capstan Blue. Although 965 is very popular so you might give that a shot.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Here's some of what I consider middle ground English mixtures in no particular order.

Lane LEO

Dunhill 965 & London Mixture

Rattray's 7 Reserve

Germain King Charles

Pease Westminster

McClelland British Woods

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to pipe smoking and the forum.
I might suggest Peterson Old Dublin or SG Squadron Leader.
Capstan Blue.
Capstan might be from England,but it has no latakia, so isn't quite what he had in mind. :puffy:
Lots of guys will recommend the Frogs and 965. Not everyone does, however - including me - so if they don't work for you, know that you are not alone.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Hmmmm well when you are ready for a Lat Bomb give Pirate Kake a try. It will satisfy your urge for campfire all winter long.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
My favorite is Dunhill Nightcap. To me that is a must try. Nightcap was my first english, and it was love at first puff. Others would be Dunhill 965, any frog morton blend, and G.L.Pease Westminster. Hard to go wrong with any of those in my opinion.

B

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
sallow:
Presbyterian Mixture is a great oriental blend but not really an "English," in terms of being a balanced mixture of Virginias, latakia, and other orientals. If it contains any latakia at all, it's in such a tiny quantity that no one seems certain about it.
Bob

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Lots of great recommendations here. Bottom line, it's all personal preference and experimentation until you find one you really like. English/Oriental Blends all start at excellent and get better from there!!!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Newminister oriental english is one of my favourite english blends. Also the Newmminister English luxus is really good. 965 is just a good standard English, personally I love McClellend's Virginia's but don't really care for their English blends.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Purchase a tin of Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe, Dunhill's Standard Mixture Medium and Dunhill's My Mixture 965. Smoke several bowls of each, then determine which one currently suits your tastes best, put the other two away for later do not discard them. Then post on here and ask your local tobacconist about other blends similar to the one you enjoyed most, be explicit about why you did or did not like the other two as much and (we) should be able to steer you towards some other blends you will also enjoy.

mikenac

Lurker
Jan 19, 2014
As mentioned, all of the Dunhill blends. In addition: Low Country Cooper, Pease Abingdon.

Status
Not open for further replies.