PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
MacBaren section has now increased to:

View attachment 96854

Which tin should I open next? Any thoughts?
the seven seas and then leave them out for two to three weeks not opened but cracked. The moisture should be where you can dry it for a few hours and get a surprisingly good smoke. Those are great but need a massive amount of drying time before getting another dose of more intense drying time. Then crack the Black Ambrosia and smoke it after normal for you drying times when it's done the seven seas will be ready. Never tried it but it's got a great name and that's got to count for something.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
the seven seas and then leave them out for two to three weeks not opened but cracked. The moisture should be where you can dry it for a few hours and get a surprisingly good smoke. Those are great but need a massive amount of drying time before getting another dose of more intense drying time. Then crack the Black Ambrosia and smoke it after normal for you drying times when it's done the seven seas will be ready. Never tried it but it's got a great name and that's got to count for something.
Yeah, that's what I intuitively thought, that those will need a much more liberal amount of dry time than most others. I learned my way-the-hell-too-hot-bowl lesson two years ago with none other than MacBaren Vanilla Cream. I think I'll give the Black blend a go over the weekend, since I've had it cellared for some time. Thanks for confirming that for me. May the Slack be with you! ?

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yeah, that's what I intuitively thought, that those will need a much more liberal amount of dry time than most others. I learned my way-the-hell-too-hot-bowl lesson two years ago with none other than MacBaren Vanilla Cream. I think I'll give the Black blend a go over the weekend, since I've had it cellared for some time. Thanks for confirming that for me. May the Slack be with you! ?
always is except when it's on vacation.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Alright, here it is, my cellar in its (nearly) completed glory. I always enjoy looking at the stacks and stacks of tins in other peoples' cellars, so I figured I'd do a little video on my own, just in case anyone else shares in the same enjoyment. I feel like, at my speed, this will be enough to last me the rest of my life. Between the jarred blends and the plethora of samples, I'm still overwhelmed by the choices I have, so I will be letting most of these tins age indefinitely. Thanks to the whole forum for inspiring me to build a cellar, and for guiding me on my pipe smoking journey! Happy Holidays and a healthy new year to you all.

And above all: THANK YOU to the mods/admins for maintaining such a great resource, and for keeping it running so smoothly! You guys don't get nearly the credit you deserve, and when it comes time for the dirty work (like that awful shattered jar incident of last week), you step up to the plate and perform admirably. No sycophancy here, just plain old gratitude from an appreciative forum member. Thank you all very much! I couldn't have satiated my Drew Estate obsession without you.

Okay, I'll shut up now. Enjoy my rambling.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Nah, I've kept track of poundage since the beginning. Scarey seeing it all out and together isn't it?

Scary is my wife seeing my cellar for the first time and saying "What's with all this tobacco?!?!?!" Even scarier is the look on her face after me miscalculating and responding with "I know, I know, I have to do better. I won't feel comfortable until we have 3 times this much!" She is sure pipe smoking will kill me.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Scary is my wife seeing my cellar for the first time and saying "What's with all this tobacco?!?!?!" Even scarier is the look on her face after me miscalculating and responding with "I know, I know, I have to do better. I won't feel comfortable until we have 3 times this much!" She is sure pipe smoking will kill me.
It's funny because of the truth involved.

"Really, more pipe stuff?!?!" Well, yes.

I've cut back on cigarettes and have been using the cigarette budget to begin a cellar. The amount spent hasn't changed but the volume (and quality) of tobacco increased.

Sometimes, it feels like losing even when you win. Other times, you find victory even in a defeat.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Mine digs through my closet more often than I do to find something she wants to buy for her cellar.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I actually just did this last night! My nephew is getting into pipe smoking and asked to see my stash.
I bought my first tin in August, and, well, I can’t seem to stop. Most of the tins are two or three deep. Man, I hope my wife never opens that cabinet in the basement…View attachment 115877View attachment 115878
Yeah, that's the kind of imagery I'm talkin' about! Love it. How is that Lane MV-1000, by the way?

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Nice state of the cellar video and topic! Not got a lot to show, I tend to be kinda disciplined in my TAD by just buying deeper in what I like now. Just got 10 50g tins of MB Navy flake, I tend to smoke one in about 5 to 6 months, so the last few tins should have a little age on them. Having so much opened would drive me crazy.

Reactions: Servant King

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Nah. Far too plebeian. Besides, I relish any opportunity to use the dung emoticon. One of those 16 oz. jars is Ashton Gold Rush, BTW. I got one more bowl of C&D Opening Night to get through, then I'll be tearing into that sucker all weekend.
Shhh! You are letting the Ashton Goldrush secret out. I think it is one of the great spring and summer blends.