Finally Taking this Seriously After a Few Years!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Sep 4, 2022
Brooklyn. NY
linktr.ee
Hello all… I’m excited to get on here and take things seriously. So I have been on and off with a pipe for a few years now but never knew much and was off and on with it and just have two no name basket pipes from a local smoke shop…
So any pointers would be super appreciated. Right now I have a nice Cob. Those two pipes mentioned and a Gineto pipe.
Looking for some tips on growing my pipe collection and what to look for. Also any times of gear, methods and tobacco. For tobacco I was always smoking Peterson Nightcap and Orlik gold… I just purchased Haunted Boomshop cake. Bayou Morning flake. Bow legged bear. And spark plug. I love these. Have not smoked spark plug yet. My good family friend told me I should in start getting any Briar pipes on eBay. I’ve been looking a lot. He also said to try and get acrylic stems and that straight stems are best or as long as you can run a pipe cleaner through without taking the stem apart so I’m on a hunt for stuff like that.
Thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 4, 2022
Brooklyn. NY
linktr.ee
It sounds like you’ve got enough fine advice to make your way. I only suggest you appreciate that this hobby isn’t complicated, and that you should try to enjoy as much as possible the adventure of learning by yourself, through trial and error.
Very good advice! Thank you for that. I tend to over to do that and want the best for the best price instantly lol

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I tend to over to do that and want the best for the best price instantly lol

Because this sounds so much like me, I'll just tell you the 3 thinks I wish I'd known when I started.

1. Dry your tobacco. Spread it out on flat surface. (paper Towel, paper plate, whatever works) check on it every 10-15 minutes. Pinch for 3 seconds and let it got. If it clumps together or sticks to your fingers it's still too wet. Still pliable, not dust, but dry is the goal.

2. Be happy with the pipes you have and learn to smoke them well. Focus your money on tobacco. A collection of good tobacco will serve you better than a collection of pipes with nothing to smoke in them. Focus on pipes later.

3. Only ask for advice if you find your smoking experience is not enjoyable and you're trying to fix it. Don't try to learn all the "right ways" first. Just smoke and enjoy. If you notice an issue, ask advice. Otherwise it gets too complicated and less enjoyable.
@Philosopiper is right. Trial and error will help you more than advice with pipe smoking. There's advice I received early on that I thought I was applying, but a year or two later realized I had just now gotten it. How's the song go? "what you know, you ain't had time to learn."

There's only 1 rule. Enjoy smoking a pipe. Everything else is just a tool to help you follow that rule.

Sep 4, 2022
Brooklyn. NY
linktr.ee
Because this sounds so much like me, I'll just tell you the 3 thinks I wish I'd known when I started.

1. Dry your tobacco. Spread it out on flat surface. (paper Towel, paper plate, whatever works) check on it every 10-15 minutes. Pinch for 3 seconds and let it got. If it clumps together or sticks to your fingers it's still too wet. Still pliable, not dust, but dry is the goal.

2. Be happy with the pipes you have and learn to smoke them well. Focus your money on tobacco. A collection of good tobacco will serve you better than a collection of pipes with nothing to smoke in them. Focus on pipes later.

3. Only ask for advice if you find your smoking experience is not enjoyable and you're trying to fix it. Don't try to learn all the "right ways" first. Just smoke and enjoy. If you notice an issue, ask advice. Otherwise it gets too complicated and less enjoyable.
@Philosopiper is right. Trial and error will help you more than advice with pipe smoking. There's advice I received early on that I thought I was applying, but a year or two later realized I had just now gotten it. How's the song go? "what you know, you ain't had time to learn."

There's only 1 rule. Enjoy smoking a pipe. Everything else is just a tool to help you follow that rule.
I ike this a lot. Yeah I feel this for sure. What was funny was the first few years I was off and on I was never lighting my bowls the “Proper way” I would just like and keep hitting. Not tamper or char. Now that I got the right method and played with it it has been so much more fun

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Dont be me, dnt but a ton of pipes because they are old and cool, figure out what shape you like first, are you a non-filter guy or a filter guy, that will help too i bought all kinds of non-filter pipes before figuring out i prefer filters, figure our what tobacco you like deforestation buying tons of tins before even tasting it. Take your time and don’t fly down the purchasing slope. Lots of good deals on flea bay for briar but if you buy 30 pipes for “only” $50 each and then only smoke out of 3 of them then they weren’t such a great deal after all. Best of luck and enjoy the ride!

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Welcome from KC!! Estae buying is a wonderful way to start a collection but don't be surprised if you get something that is a little surprising in negative way. A number of seller's won't tell you about a replacement stem, for instance. But take your time and really learn how to smoke a pipe. It is totally different from cigarette or cigar smoking. Key points are learn how to pack your pipe properly (if it doesn't try like a well made cigar it is too tight) and slow down your cadence (how fast you smoke).

Reactions: Jonas T Perrin
Sep 4, 2022
Brooklyn. NY
linktr.ee
Yea
Dont be me, dnt but a ton of pipes because they are old and cool, figure out what shape you like first, are you a non-filter guy or a filter guy, that will help too i bought all kinds of non-filter pipes before figuring out i prefer filters, figure our what tobacco you like deforestation buying tons of tins before even tasting it. Take your time and don’t fly down the purchasing slope. Lots of good deals on flea bay for briar but if you buy 30 pipes for “only” $50 each and then only smoke out of 3 of them then they weren’t such a great deal after all. Best of luck and enjoy the ride!
h that’s the thing I feel like I want to do. Want to buy a few shapes of cheaper pipes. Find the one or ones I like then buy a nicer version of those

Reactions: jpmcwjr and kcghost

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I will give the advice to you that I give to every new smoker. Buy a good pipe to start. A 100.00-150.00 Savinelli with no filter will give you a cool dry smoke and will give you a baseline as to how a good pipe should smoke. Once you have a baseline you will know when you buy a pipe that is shit. A shit pipe will smoke wet and hot and ruin your tobacco. If a pipe cannot take a fluffy pipe cleaner into the bottom of the bowl with ease, pass on it.

Once you get a few good pipes then focus on the different genres of pipe tobacco. Virginia, Virginia/Perique, Virginia/Burley/Kentucky. Save the aromatics until you have learned how to smoke your pipes as those can burn wet and hot and never taste as good as they smell.

I would also start researching how to smoke flake tobacco. Eventually you will want to try flakes and know what to do in advance is a good idea. You have a long journey ahead of you and you want to have fun.