PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
My pipe starter kit finally arrived from 4noggins today :mrgreen:

It came with a Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe, 4 different sample packs of tobacco, a Czech tool and some pipe cleaners. I also ordered a Zippo pipe lighter.

I practiced a few times loading the bowl and then headed out to the garage for a smoke .

I did everything I was supposed to according to what I had read and watched on YouTube.

The pipe went out on me 3 times and it never got so hot I couldn't hang onto it. I found myself puffing too fast a few times so I slowed down. Never got any gurgling or tongue bite.

I had loaded it up with some Trout Stream, which smelled the best out of the 4 tobaccos that were in the kit.

My son said the garage smelled like a campfire.

I really didn't get too much taste out of it, which is what I expected according to what I read, but there was a few times where I did get a nice flavour for a second or two.

The smoke lasted for about 22 minutes.

After I was done I waded up a paper towel and cleaned the bowl and then ran a pipe cleaner through the stem to get out all the nasties and then just blew through it.

So I believe my first pipe smoking experience turned out very positive.
Mark

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Excellent! Sounds like you are well on your way to much pipe smoking pleasure. Enjoy. :puffy:
what are the other blends that came with the starter kit?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Great way to start out Mark ... congrats! :clap:
Looks like your cob is the MM Legend in the Rob Roy bowl ... one of my favorites.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
Nice work Mark, sounds like you already know what you are doing. I seem to recall a scorched tongue after my first bowl.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Very good...great first experience...only having to re-light 3 times is also really good...enjoy your new hobby...trout stream is a nice blend too

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
Thanks guys,

I just followed the advice given on here.

The other 3 blends are Button Bay, Dark Horse and Dark and Stormy. I am going to keep smoking the Trout Stream and then move onto the other three.

I also have a pouch of Captain Black Gold(smells sooo good) and a pouch of Carter Hall and some Cornell & Diehl: Apples & Cream on route.

All it said on the bottom of the bowl was Missouri Meerschaum, no other name. I'm happy they sent a Missouri Meerschaum pipe with the kit as I have only read good reports on them .
Mark

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
See? Nothing to it! A lot of people try to make the pipe too complicated. Easy, peazy! Good on you
Well said warren.

Keep it simple and draw slow. Hell, as I remember it took me sometime before it only took three re-lights to burn down a bowl! Eventually, and depending on the pipe/size, you'll have it going to a good forty five to one hour smoke. Just take it slow, and as warren said, don't make it complicated. Also, don't forget about what a tamper is used for while smoking! :wink:

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
I forgot to mention the tamper. I did use it a few times during the smoke and did dump some ash out a couple of times.
Mark

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
So . . . you done good. Different blends will give you different amounts of taste . . . and some of the taste takes a while to develop. With some experience, you'll start to discern tastes. You might also want to experiment a little with retro-haling (exhaling through your nose) to give you more taste.

cajunrph

Lurker
Dec 5, 2014
Another term for retro haling is to snork. You don't inhale the smoke into your lungs, you more or less push the smoke through your nose while keeping your throat closed. It may sound complicated but it's not. I use my tongue to push the smoke through while I keep my throat closed. I guess exhaling through the nose with a mouth full of smoking will do it also. I've just never tried that. Any way,the taste is all in the snork.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Way to go! You've cleared a hurdle most of us here only attempted to clear the first several times out with the pipe. A good, positive experience on the first go around means that you are patient, follow directions and are humble enough to know going into it that you needed some guidance. You took it all in and made it work, I expect you'll be in it for the long haul and have much to learn and enjoy in the coming months and years. It's great to see a person have such a successful first smoke.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"I didn't see that pipe on their website either."

You can click bowl style on the drop down menu. It is there.
http://corncobpipe.com/legend-corncob-pipe.html
The Legend is the most popular pipe for the price in our series of mid-sized, filtered pipes with a medium-sized bowl and coating that gives it a soft yellow color. Available in three bowl shapes: 5th Avenue, Rob Roy, and Flat. Each bowl shape comes with an amber bent or straight bit as shown. See Product Description below for more details.
I am a big fan of the Mark Twain model

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
I've got that same Cob. Did yours come with extra filters or have you bought any? You can replace the filter with half a pipe cleaner folded over. Check your filter. It's probably already getting dirty and wet.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sounds like you did very well. It's been twenty-four years since my first pipe experience, but I do remember the tongue scorching that I got. Sounds like you are well on your way!

Status
Not open for further replies.