PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
I probably should have added that I prepared Cringle Flake the right way - for me. The first two bowls with this reportedly delish flake were miserable. I rubbed the very damp flakes out to a bit of a rough chunk, packed, toasted and tried to light up. Tried again and again, but the tobacco simply would not take fire. This is when bite happens - drew hard to try to light and eek out some sort of flavor. No luck with that, but did manage to fry the hell out of my tongue both times. I know better - got frustrated and stubborn. Pipe tobacco - 1, me - 0!
This time, I dried the flakes out for an hour or two, then got out the 'herb grinder'. Let's call it what it is - a weed grinder. I got the 2" one, not knowing any better, but would get a 3" one next time. Had to break up each flake to fit, then gave just a couple two or three twists and had the perfect rubbed, cut, torn small bits to load the bowl with. All the while the amazing aroma from the flakes' tin note was filling the air. The weed grinder cut proved to be just the thing, as the bowl lit easily and required just two re-lights to the end. I can happily say that Cringle Flake is well worth the effort, with a wonderful tin note and ever-present Virginia sweet, grassy and dark fruit taste throughout. Not a lot of spice, but a nice plummy sour note at the back of the tongue popped in & out. Ooooh, Yeah Baby!
Weed grinders rule! :col:

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I bought three tins of the 2020 offering. Smoked through one tin pretty quickly and am cellaring the other two. Pretty good stuff, but you're right in drying it out. I made the mistake of not doing so and my tongue sizzled.

That was kinda my plan, too. Buy some tins, and then smoke one a year until they run out. I'm really excited for the one I crack in 2040.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
I probably should have added that I prepared Cringle Flake the right way - for me. The first two bowls with this reportedly delish flake were miserable. I rubbed the very damp flakes out to a bit of a rough chunk, packed, toasted and tried to light up. Tried again and again, but the tobacco simply would not take fire. This is when bite happens - drew hard to try to light and eek out some sort of flavor. No luck with that, but did manage to fry the hell out of my tongue both times. I know better - got frustrated and stubborn. Pipe tobacco - 1, me - 0!
This time, I dried the flakes out for an hour or two, then got out the 'herb grinder'. Let's call it what it is - a weed grinder. I got the 2" one, not knowing any better, but would get a 3" one next time. Had to break up each flake to fit, then gave just a couple two or three twists and had the perfect rubbed, cut, torn small bits to load the bowl with. All the while the amazing aroma from the flakes' tin note was filling the air. The weed grinder cut proved to be just the thing, as the bowl lit easily and required just two re-lights to the end. I can happily say that Cringle Flake is well worth the effort, with a wonderful tin note and ever-present Virginia sweet, grassy and dark fruit taste throughout. Not a lot of spice, but a nice plummy sour note at the back of the tongue popped in & out. Ooooh, Yeah Baby!
Weed grinders rule! :col:
Thanks for the processing tip.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Cringle Flake 2020 felt very similar to the McClelland red flakes that I've smoked, which meant considerable moisture that would take a while to dry away, revealing spectacular flavors once it did. I dried mine for a couple of hours, maybe three, and I live in a dry climate.
Cringle Flake 2020 didn't disappoint. For me it's easily and far away the best red Virginia flake that's hit the market since McClelland closed its doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.