PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
We were in Boston this past weekend and I had time to stop at WCC. Ernie was in the shop and I cannot say enough about how incredibly nice he is. Picked up a couple of pounds and some ounces of various blends and cannot believe it has taken me this long to try Old Dominion and 558. And his Scottish blends are pretty damn awesome too. But, the one blend that stood out is Old Black Magic. I love this smoke. It is classified as other in tobacco reviews and that fits. It has a very nice tin note that is reminiscent of quality aromatics. Yet, it smokes like a mix of great Virginia with a fruity, spicy Perique wandering in and out with each puff. The Latakia peeks out on occasion but really only provides a bit of what would be called Umami if this were food. I will be buying a pound or 3 of this to cellar and smoke now. With Peretti only a few miles from Watch City Cigar, I am truly blessed to live in this area. Will be making many more trips. So my scores: Old Dominion - 4/4, 558 - 3.8, Old Black Magic - 4/4. Still have more to try and will do a short review of all in one post once I am finished with 5-6 smokes of each blend.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I just ordered another Lb of Old Dominion.

Set some aside and that mild pluminess it has really comes alive.

It's one of my absolute favorite VaPers. Great fresh and astounding with a little age.
I am happy to hear that a bit of age makes it even better. Will be cellaring as much as I can afford. VaPers have only recently, the past year, really opened up for me. Now I regret some of the blends I have cellared.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I was in WC somewhere around 2000. Me and a few buddies were doing our own little cigar crawl and WC made the list of places to check out. I honestly don't remember much and I don't know if Ernie was there.
We had started the crawl at Regency Cigar in East Greenwich R.I where I lived. Then I think we worked our way north west to hit Ernie. Then I think we hit Cambridge to go to Leavitt and Peirce. Then from there we hit either Peretti or David P. Ehrlich. They were close to each other and we hit both.
I was smoking pipes and cigars at that time but I was with all cigar guys and we hit some of the oldest stores in the country. I think they are all still there.
My memory is no good so one of the things that sticks out was how Paretti's were not very nice people. Their reputation for being surly was part of their schtick, so we got the whole show and it was fun.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
We were in Boston this past weekend and I had time to stop at WCC. Ernie was in the shop and I cannot say enough about how incredibly nice he is. Picked up a couple of pounds and some ounces of various blends and cannot believe it has taken me this long to try Old Dominion and 558. And his Scottish blends are pretty damn awesome too. But, the one blend that stood out is Old Black Magic. I love this smoke. It is classified as other in tobacco reviews and that fits. It has a very nice tin note that is reminiscent of quality aromatics. Yet, it smokes like a mix of great Virginia with a fruity, spicy Perique wandering in and out with each puff. The Latakia peeks out on occasion but really only provides a bit of what would be called Umami if this were food. I will be buying a pound or 3 of this to cellar and smoke now. With Peretti only a few miles from Watch City Cigar, I am truly blessed to live in this area. Will be making many more trips. So my scores: Old Dominion - 4/4, 558 - 3.8, Old Black Magic - 4/4. Still have more to try and will do a short review of all in one post once I am finished with 5-6 smokes of each blend.
Got me some Old Black Magic - great stuff

Reactions: aquadoc and ernieq
Oct 7, 2016
Ernie was in the shop and I cannot say enough about how incredibly nice he is.
Keep that quiet. Destroys the carefully cultivated marketing image they are going for.

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
my old brick and mortar store had a blend called black magic it was basically a variation on crooner and was super tasty. In fact so much so I trust any blend with a similar name. :) You wouldn't name a shit blend something like that.
Smoking black magic for the first time as I type this. Thinking of ordering a pound as soon as I’m done.

Status
Not open for further replies.