PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
Finally got my first pipe today! I've been searching for one locally and managed to find one at Rite-Aid, of all places. Its a Dr Grabow, bent Omega. Nothing fancy but enough to get me started. Tobacco is also slim pickings around here, I ended up picking Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey. I remember liking the moist tobaccos over the dry but beggars can't be choosers! Still need to get a pipe tool as well, no place around here has them - go figure, gotta love a small town.
I'm looking forward to learning from these forums and making some new friends. I love how active and living the community is here and I plan on staying for the long haul!
Anyway, nice to meet everyone!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard! That's a good pipe and tobacco. Take your time and enjoy yourself. Remember, relights are part of it. Don't forget to tamp, but gently.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Grabow pipes are good starters, still have a few in my rotation, try to find some cob pipes, good smokers. Obviously you are on line so look up Missouri Meerschaum and get some cobs, they also have tools and their line of tobacco, Independence Day is good IMHO. MM products are also available on Amazon, Ebay and most of the Tobacco sites.
As far as tobacco goes I would suggest Captain Black, Dunhill EMP and Carter Hall, if you have to by on-line may as well get 1 oz sampler packs of a large variety and discover what your tastes are. Frog Morton have excellent blends as do many other

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Welcome to the world of pipe smoking. Lots to learn and no one way is best. Figure out what works best for you and be patient. Enjoy your pipe and just relax and every day will be a good one.

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
Had my first smoke using the pipe tonight. It was really good! Took me twice to really get it down to where I can keep it lit. I was using a Bic lighter and it was a bit difficult to use.
@skydog I think I know what you mean by the 'bite', while smoking it made my tongue 'tingle'? Almost like I had eaten something spicy. I'm assuming that is the bite you are referring too, that's the only way I can describe the sensation.

It was interesting Ill tell you that.
I also found it hard to pack dry tobacco, I don't have a tool so I just used my finger.
Thank you all for the warm welcomes!

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Just adding my Welcome to the Welcomers! Great to see new and enthusiastic people coming aboard! Hope for the future! :clap:

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
@skydog Thanks again, your information as well as that of others has been most helpful. I found a store that sells pipe tools and tobacco, its a bit of a jaunt but I should be able to head over there just to get the tool and maybe a bag or two of some other tobacco. I remember seeing the Prince Albert in a pouch when I picked up the BR, wasn't sure if that was any good though. I kept remember the Prince Albert in a can jokes and mentally passed on it, lol.
Thanks again for the welcomes everyone! Having a good time already.

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
@panamacharlie I would have to order that online and just can't right now. The BR is going to have to do for now. I'ts not to bad to me, it can get me if I puff to much - its a good reminder for when I'm rushing it lol.

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
@oldsalt Thank you! I'm loving this forum and enjoying all the posts and information.

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
@seagullplayer I never thought to use either of those....I have a pipe tool now though. Ill have to keep those in mind just in case I lose it.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Welcome lotharen.

You express the right attitude for succeeding at this ancient rite.

If you didn't burn your tongue to the point of absurd pain with Borkum Riff as your first blend, you're ahead of the curve!

There must be enough demand for the stuff, but it gets very little respect here.

Have fun and many many happy smokes.

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
@emsjunky I'm loving it so far. I'm sure Ill hold on to it just to remember my introduction into the pipe world.
@newbroom Thank you very much. After smoking several other blends I can say Borkum Riff isn't my cup of tea - Ill finish off what I have but I doubt I will ever purchase it again.

unclescot

Lurker
Sep 12, 2016
@mikethompson @newbroom A newbie here, but I know you're already right from Lotharen's point of view. If I'd discovered right away that Borkum Riff wasn't that respected... Ahh, who am I kidding? I'd already started using YouTube how-to's to get started. ;)
emsjunky: you keep a bent omega as a tamper? Well, to each his own... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.