PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Couldn't pass this one up. The only thing I know about meers is that I shouldn't attempt to refurb it myself. I assume this is mid 20th century, but I have no idea. The tenon is solid, as is the stem, but they're not lined up correctly. Any thoughts on this piece? Is the pink coloring just from the case?
IMG_20200508_155012.jpg
IMG_20200508_155113.jpg
IMG_20200508_155040.jpg
IMG_20200508_155132.jpg

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Yep, keep adding them until the stem is straight as I understand it (sort of using them elongate the shank/shrink the tenon). These are just splintered memories looming up out of the time fog though. I’m sure they’ll be here to explain soon.
Yes, I will attempt nothing without instructions from @weezell , and his instructions always seem to be "Do not pass go. Send it to Ric at Briarville!" Unfortunately, the seller had already twisted off the stem for me, everything probably needs rethreading, etc.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I say clean it and smoke it!

You can send it off for refurbishment later.
I almost always do exactly that, but I don't even know how to clean up a meer. There's about 7 pounds of rock-hard cake in bottom of the chamber, and the idea of sticking a knife or reamer in there does not sit right with me. Plus, I've read that there are sometimes all manner of buttons and whatnot lurking in the bottom of old meers. Maybe I'll just run it under the sink, pack a bowl, and see what happens...

Reactions: rushx9 and jpmcwjr
Jun 9, 2018
England
I almost always do exactly that, but I don't even know how to clean up a meer. There's about 7 pounds of rock-hard cake in bottom of the chamber, and the idea of sticking a knife or reamer in there does not sit right with me. Plus, I've read that there are sometimes all manner of buttons and whatnot lurking in the bottom of old meers. Maybe I'll just run it under the sink, pack a bowl, and see what happens...

To remove cake on my one and only meer (and meerschaum bowls on my calabashes) I use super high strength vodka. The make I use in the UK is called Bajikah and is made in the Balkans, it's 88% proof.
There's a different brand that all the lads from the US use but I couldn't find it here in the UK, I can't remember the name at the mo but I'm sure someone will chip in with what it's called.
I've found high strength vodka and a cotton wool earbud works wonders and the cake comes off no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.