PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Smoking a bowl of Makuwha. Have and 8 am appointment and going to be late because I dont want to stop. Kicking myself for only ordering one tine with an estervals order as this is now, by far, my favorite of the 10 or so varieties I ordered to sample.
I am finding that I really like Burley blends, and this one is fantastic. I may put in another estervals order and go to town on this one. For a relatively new pipe smoker its hard to know which ones will really strike a chord.

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
What is crazy is that several forum members have posted that this blend is a shell of it‘s former self. It used to be far richer and more chocolaty but was changed recently. I have been looking for old tin to compare to the new one. Every HU blend I have purchased has been fantastic. It is my favorite house now.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Smoking a bowl of Makuwha. Have and 8 am appointment and going to be late because I dont want to stop. Kicking myself for only ordering one tine with an estervals order as this is now, by far, my favorite of the 10 or so varieties I ordered to sample.
I am finding that I really like Burley blends, and this one is fantastic. I may put in another estervals order and go to town on this one. For a relatively new pipe smoker its hard to know which ones will really strike a chord.
that's awesome. I remember the first time I wished I had more of a particular blend. Before I had one that buying by the pound or sleeve made sense.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
What is crazy is that several forum members have posted that this blend is a shell of it‘s former self. It used to be far richer and more chocolaty but was changed recently.
Take this with a grain of salt. A shell of it's former self is a bit unfair. The guys who talk about the differences are very experienced in tobacco, usually, and are talking about finer details than many people will never notice.

Plus, blends don't necessarily change for the worse. There are plenty of people who wouldn't/didn't care for the chocolate level before but will find the new version more suitable. It's really about personal preference.

That is to say, if you get your hands on a tin of the older version, you might find you don't like it as much as the newer version if you can tell the difference at all.

DedHed Piper

Might Stick Around
Dec 28, 2019
Sweden
Not being a burley fan in particular, but Makhuwa is one of my all time favourites. And I’m really enjoying what is produced at the moment.
I would love to try the older tobacco, but it is not the chocolate that catches my interest. It’s something with the HU blends, the smoothness or how well they blend into each other. I dunno.
but HU really have blends in the top of all categories; Fayyum Kake, English Breakfast, Flanagan, Louisiana Broken etc etc... yum.

Reactions: mordy18 and jpmcwjr

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I really like Makhuwa, I put a tin in the order I sent to Estervals today.

It is just as chocolatey as I like it, and I've only smoked my first tin this year so it was a new one.

Sure, it could have been/was, none of this matters if it works for you.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
After thinking about it I’m not going to go through the hassle and shipping cost of another estervals order. I put in a SP order for a few tins of solani aged burley flake and some c&d pegasus instead to see how I like those. Missing the perique so it wont be the same as makuwha but i see from another thread they are recommended burley blends.

That said, if anyone is overburdened with too much Makuwha and would like to trade for nyala, dockworker or directors cut please PM me.

Reactions: lightmybriar

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I have a tin of Aged Burley Flake which has sat for 1 year now unopened, but a flake a friend shared with me tasted like liquorice-flavoured hot air. Overall a bit weird and nothing at all like Makhuwa.

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
After thinking about it I’m not going to go through the hassle and shipping cost of another estervals order. I put in a SP order for a few tins of solani aged burley flake and some c&d pegasus instead to see how I like those. Missing the perique so it wont be the same as makuwha but i see from another thread they are recommended burley blends.

That said, if anyone is overburdened with too much Makuwha and would like to trade for nyala, dockworker or directors cut please PM me.
Just save up and place a large order when you can. You won’t be able to find anything comparable to HU blends domestically. I place large orders twice per year with Estervals and the shipping cost is minimal.

Reactions: artvandelay007

Bushido

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2020
Can anybody tell me about what the cost of shipping is to California from Eatervals?

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
Can anybody tell me about what the cost of shipping is to California from Eatervals?
I can't speak to the shipping cost to Cali but the general philosophy when placing an order from them is it should be sizable in order to make it worth the coin. That's my 2c's. Not to mention the anxieties of a large import order making it to your doorstep. My experience has been worth it.

Reactions: Bushido

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Burley with a touch of perique is my favourite blend combination. I feel the perique helps bring out the rich chocolate notes that are naturally in burley, much in the same way how it interacts with Virginia to bring out a dark fruit/figginess.

haunted bookshop is a winner for me. Very simple though, but sipped slow and thoughtlessly can bring out a lot of chocolate and wild cherry notes.

I have recently started to try VaPer with Dark Fired Kentucky and have found this to be really good. Sort of takes what I love about bookshop but in a much richer, almost evening smoke direction.

Reactions: anotherbob
Status
Not open for further replies.