PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I have spent the last 10 days delivering puppies to their new homes I racked up about 3500 miles. As an ex truck driver I was looking forward to it but I find myself relived and my body is begging for mercy. I normally only drive 7 miles to work. Was curious how you guys handle driving as you get older
Man, if it’s over 30 mi, I hate it! Just because it so exhausting due to having to think for the 30 dumb asses driving around me who are well............dumb asses

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
I would drive 80 mile round trip to work 20 years ago, been 10 minutes from home the last 17. Very blessed now, can not do the daily commute, but a long drive once in awhile with the better-half is a pleasure!

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
My commute to work is 12 miles on the highway or 10 miles straight down the beach. I usually take the highway in the morning to get there fast and then slow cruise the beach with a pipe or a beer on the way home in the afternoon. Without a doubt, driving off-road while smoking or drinking makes the commuting experience far more enjoyable.
beachpipe.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
700 miles in a day is about the best I can do in the RV. The Mercedes SUV is good for a 1000+, usually. Anchorage to Whitehorse, Canadians permitting, is a full day for me. There are days after a long leg where my 74 year old back needs a long walk and a day off from the driver's seat. Also, every two hours on the road I give the pup a short walk.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
My commute to work is 12 miles on the highway or 10 miles straight down the beach. I usually take the highway in the morning to get there fast and then slow cruise the beach with a pipe or a beer on the way home in the afternoon. Without a doubt, driving off-road while smoking or drinking makes the commuting experience far more enjoyable.
View attachment 50224
You Sir, are one lucky SOB!! If I had a drive like that I probably wouldn’t mind it so much!!! ?

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
When our office is open and not shut due to COVID, my commute is about 18km one way (11 miles), through the middle of Canada’s largest city which is synonymous with some of the worst gridlock in NA. I am able to ameliorate this by leaving for work after the morning rush, and I usually stay a few minutes later to avoid the rush on my way home. The crazy thing is that waiting even 20 minutes can reduce an hour trip to 25 minutes.

That having been said, my drive is often my favourite time of the day, particularly on the way home. I get to relax in my comfy leather chair, light a pipe and listen to music or podcasts. Doesn’t matter how cold it gets or if it’s raining or snowing. Others rage in traffic jams, I tend to look at them as cozy more than anything these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.