Finally Bought Some C&D Blends - Any Good, Bad, or Ugly Opinions?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
For those that have had Redburn did your cake come really dry?
My tin has no moisture at all...with rum and molasses flavoring added I anticipated it being fairly moist. I am 2/3’s through the tin but wondering if I am missing out on some flavors.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Just got done grating some Dreams of Kadanth probably for tomorrow, and I definitely like Stradfordshire for a sturdy English.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The Redburn tin I opened was dryer than most but perfect for smoking, at least for me. My limited experience with C&D blends is they come dryer than most other tobacco manufacturers.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Those three you purchased are all wonderful blends in my opinion, I rate them in this order:
1. Dreams of Kadath Plug (they should put Plug in the name)

2. Bayou Morning Flake

3 Mad Fiddler Flake
If you end up liking Dreams of Kadath, give GL Pease’ Temple Bar a whirl, they have very similar taste profiles.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
A lot of folks are recommending Redburn I’ll definitely put that on the list. And hawky454 I’ve been looking at a lot of G.L. Pease blends they all sound really tasty! Will certainly keep temple bar in mind.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
I love Dreams of Kadath. In the C&D realm, I am also very fond of Pirate Cake, Mad Fiddler Flake, Sunset Harbor Flake, Belmont Station, Crooner, Gentleman Caller and Speakeasy..........So Far.
AND OF COURSE, ARGGGGGGGGGG, I wouldn't ferget to mention one o' me MOST favorite blends, Black Frigate!!!!!!!
CW

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I dig all of the passionate responses to this thread! Just realized it’s in the wrong forum so sorry ‘bout that. I’m new. Sue me. Anyway... all of my C&D blends arrived today and I can’t decide which one to smoke first! It’s such a fantastic problem to have. I’ll eat a nice dinner and then maybe (literally) roll some dice and let fate decide. I’m looking forward to trying many of the blends you all love so much. Thanks for all the input!

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
C&D makes some great blends. Lots mentioned here that I smoke regularly. Mountain Camp, Billy Budd, Morley's Best.
About C&D sending blends dry, it's something they've mentioned before in posts. I think you might find some on this forum from either Sykes or Jeremy. They prefer to ship tobacco not water, so they typically send their blends dryer than most.
I'm interested in the Dreams of Kadath, as well as Billy Budd Blonde. I haven't been able to pick up any of those tins yet. I will though.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Really enjoying Opening Night and Redburn a lot. Black Frigate is quite good, Pirate Kake is nice to have at the end of the day when you're in the mood for a lot of latakia. Been smoking a fair amount of Burley Flake #4 and it is excellent. Some of the C&D Burleys are a bit bland for me but this one lets the Va Leaf come out a lot. Also like Yorktown a lot more than I thought I would. Great value VA blend you can buy in bulk. Surprised it isn't mentioned more.

them4chef

Lurker
Oct 23, 2018
I got recently got my first 2 tins of cornell&diehl
The first was my last attempt at aromatics... I got a tin of autumn evening. The tin note is delicious. As for smoking it was less delicious but acceptable. Though personally it's not incredible but for aromatics I've tried so far it's probably a tie with sweet killarney as a acceptable smoke so I guess I'll keep some in my rotation.
My second tin was black frigate. I definatly prefer English and this is a decent blend. I've only smoked 3 bowls of it and its not that remarkable. I get some sweetness from the rum early in the smoke but personally I find it gets a little flat after about 1/2 a bowl, though still a decent smoke.
I have some g l pease on the way and it's made by c&d from what I understand so I'm hoping for some more exciting blends fun

There.

Status
Not open for further replies.