PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Sanzini

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2021
Bristow, VA
There are no dumb people, only dumb questions...or something like that. So here's mine:

1. How can I tell if my filterless pipe will take a filter?
2. How can I tell what size filter will fit?

Your kindness is appreciated.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Filterless pipes will usually not take a filter.

The filters are placed in the shank or stem and it must be drilled out in order to do so. So by design, if there's no space for a filter, it ain't goin' in.

There are several types of filters... most common are the 9mm and 6mm filters. They are filled with either activated carbon/charcoal, meerschaum bits, or can just be balsa. Then you have the long skinny ones like Brigham's Maple 'Distillators' and the ones that go into MM cobs (Medico if I recall correctly, I don't use them).

Personally, I like the slimmer shanks on some non-filtered pipes that would just never be able to fit a filter. I smoke both filtered and non-filtered pipes. I find that filtering does dull the first part of a bowl on some blends.

There are some novel ways of putting a folded up pipe cleaner or some rolled up paper in your stem etc which works on some pipes.

mikebjrtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2012
Hurst TX
I prefer filter less pipes with the exception of my cobs. I like the ones that take a medico filter. I don’t use it but it makes it easier to pass an extra fluffy cleaner. I usually don’t use a filter in my 9mm Stan well featherweight but it smokes better with one. The extra space that the pipe cleaner doesn’t reach gets wet and makes the smoke slightly flat

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I know it sounds really skunkworks, but I feel the need to post this somewhere.. Take a 16 penny nail and wrap a pipe cleaner around it in a spiral, then stretch it out like a cork screw where there is about 1/8" between the spirals. Clip to about the same length as a 6mm paper filter and try that in your pipe. It sounds nuts, but pipe cleaners make pretty excellent moisture sops if you are in a pinch and like to run a filter for that reason.
Think Falcon's dry rings or the Smokemaster pipe cleaner filter pipes. I have found these flow better than paper, and are at least as effective as a balsa. When you live in a temperate rain forest where it rains for 4 months out of the year, you find ways to deal with moisture :)

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
You can use filter for that, I guess. But thing to do is running pipe cleaner to dry out the draft. Thing is, some people will experience excess moisture when they start smoking pipes. This should go away as time passes. But, there will always be slight moisture in the pipe. Running a pipe cleaner or breaking down you pipe to clean it out would be a better idea than keeping wet filter in the pipe. At least, that's my opinion.