PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

zamboknee

Lurker
Feb 28, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

Do they make filters for pipes with stems this narrow and short?
D4D924AE-8FF4-4E85-9CED-BDADE7237D59.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I have a Mr. Brog with the same stinger. I have smoked it with and without the stinger and I don't notice any difference. I have several pipes that came with stingers. I just remove the stingers and save them just in case I sell the pipe and the new owner wants the stinger.

Reactions: Scottmi and chopper

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Most pipes with tenon openings that size don’t use a filter. If you want to use a filter get something that takes a grabow filter, savinelli 6mm balsa, or 9mm charcoal filter. (They make 9mm balsa as well)

the opening inside a 3mm filter would have to be like the width of a pencil lead.

brunot

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2017
Slovakia
The German company Denicotea makes 3mm paper filters.

Take note that they'll, sometimes severely, restrict the draw. I'd only consider them for very wet tobaccos (or avoid the problem entirely by drying/slow pace).

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Most of us have tried those... They're called stingers and they don't do much actual filtering, instead, the cooler metal condenses moisture that's supposed to go back into the bowl, but often just makes a gurgley mess in the stem. Many people remove them. Again, they don't actually filter any toxins or anything, they just help separate some moisture. Sometimes.

Reactions: BROBS

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
On the subject how do filters effect draw?
Filters or stingers? If the pipe is drilled for them they may have a loose draw without them. Sometimes they restrict the draw too much. It's mostly personal preference, but in some cases a draw can be so restricted with a stinger that it makes a wetter smoke that's more prone to biting, especially when combined with damp tobacco and/or a hot smoking technique. Sometimes when a pipe comes with a stinger or filter, the draft hole is very large and causes a draw so loose that its difficult to keep lit without over packing. There are lots of variables depending on the design of the pipe and what type of filter/stinger it's designed to use.

Jan 27, 2020
Stingers and filters are the Chlamydia of the pipe world.

I can imagine if you have a pipe swinging from your mouth all day long a filter might be a reasonable consideration but for someone smoking a couple bowls a day it likely wouldn’t have a significant effect on exposure to whatever you’re trying not to be exposed to. Triple filtered vodka might produce less of a hangover but I don’t think your liver suffers any less.