PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I love my filters and filter pipes. I don't enjoy most Virginia forward blends without them, and they soften the bite on the goopier aromatics and "contest" tobacco's, lol. Each to his own. Anyone who doesn't want their filters can send them to me. I will dispose of them properly.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Man if filters confuse new smokers maybe smoking a pipe isn't a good idea for them.
That seems like a rather unfair statement to make. If someone is new to pipe smoking, or any new endeavor for that matter, it’s only natural to ask questions about something that one is unsure or confused about. That is akin to a teacher telling a student to leave the classroom and forget about taking up the subject simply because they asked a question in an effort to learn. After all... we were all new to smoking a pipe at one time in our lives.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
@ newbroom. I believe I stole that from a member here. No time to look him up right now, as I have to go in a minute—by that I mean get in the car and leave! But it will come to me before long.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Phil
If someone is new to pipe smoking, or any new endeavor for that matter, it’s only natural to ask questions about something that one is unsure or confused about
Well said.
I am just remembering all of the questions I had had when beginning to smoke a pipe. Thankfully, this forum was very considerate in patiently answering each and every one.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Filters aren't rocket science. By the time you've trekked through a few online retailers, pipe shops, pipe shows, and catalogs, you get the idea. But for a new pipe buyer just walking into the market, it's a lot to sort out, it seems to me. I have mostly tuned my relationship to filters so I can adjust and adapt, but it took me time and a bit of research. When newbies ask about pipe selection, they often don't ask about filters, and it's the first thing I think they might not know, that they need to know. It's inside the stem. I've never had a sales person attempt to explain it to me, or mention it at all, unless I ask.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
But for a new pipe buyer just walking into the market, it's a lot to sort out, it seems to me.
I agree. The pipe community has a wealth of resources... which is the problem. That huge amount of data weighs down anyone but the already-fascinated hobbyist.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I like filters. And beer too!
Damn! That's a lot of complaining over a filter in a pipe.
+1 drwatson and Warren. Have not read of any law making it mandatory 8O

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I kind of like the Grabow filters for when I'm out in the field. Low maintenance up to five bowls, and then a simple swap which can be done in a car or on the move. But they do change the flavor a bit.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
A filter in a pipe doesn't make the pipe smoke dry, it just traps the condensate before it can get up the stem into your mouth. Halfway through the bowl every puff you take is running through a soggy, contaminated filter. If you want to taste tobacco, don't smoke a filtered pipe. If you're afraid of the health risks, don't smoke any pipe.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
A time honored topic. It's like deja vu all over again. Stay tuned for an exciting thread on the availability of a grail tobacco in limited amounts at a local tobacconist. Also, to follow quickly on the heels of that thread, a discussion as to whether or not smoker X should tell his parents he is smoking a pipe and a rousing romp through the pros and cons of brylon pipes! :wink:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Brewshooter, okay some of those have been my fault. I'll try to refrain in the future.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
A time honored topic. It's like deja vu all over again.
$0.02: forums need these. They cycle like the seasons and new members who are lurking get to learn. It also riles up the base and can be entertaining.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I have never used filters myself(yet) but researching I found this quote below on pipedia Brigham is noted for having a superior filtering system. I can see where some tobacco's that are prone to tongue bite could benefit from such filtering. I know from experience in making homemade bamboo pipes that they do indeed smoke quite dry and yet take nothing away from the flavor. The only problem is in cleaning them. Probably a retort cleaning through the bamboo baffles(for lack of a better word) might do ok.

Roy & Herb of Brigham discovered that tongue bite was in fact a form of mild chemical burn to the tongue, caused by tars and acids in the smoke. They found that by filtering the smoke, it was possible to retain the flavour of the tobacco and yet remove these impurities and thereby stop the tongue bite.
Roy & Herb began experimenting with many materials, both common and exotic, in the quest for the perfect pipe filter. Results varied wildly. Most of the materials didn’t work at all and some actually imparted their own flavour into the smoke. They eventually found just two materials that were satisfactory in pipes: bamboo and rock maple.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Brewshooter, okay some of those have been my fault. I'll try to refrain in the future.
$0.02: forums need these. They cycle like the seasons and new members who are lurking get to learn. It also riles up the base and can be entertaining.
Bah, you all misunderstand my post, it is not uncommon. It is like I am speaking a language known only to me at times. :roll: :P
EDIT: The actual full post is below...stupid internet!!!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Bah, you all misunderstand my post, it is not uncommon. It is like I am speaking a language known only to me at times. :roll: :P
It's like groundhog day all over again.
-- Pat

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Bah, you all misunderstand my post. This is not uncommon. It is like I am speaking a language known only to me at times. :roll: :P
It is just this type of thread which provides a common point of reference, a topic to discuss, to cast our rage upon in great mountains of overblown hate, and to ridicule for our own delight.
I for one look forward to decades of discussions about superior packing methods, whether or not smoking is going to immediately give the OP stage five oral cancer or letting everyone know that I just bought a new boat, pictures attached!! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.