PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beach Man

Lurker
Jul 9, 2021
I moved to a large apartment community of mostly 12-plex single story units with individual covered patios. It is in California so smoking, even a pipe, is regarded as grounds for deportation or worse. I want to build an exhaust fan / filter system that I can use to collect the smoke and send it up to the roof where the wind can carry it away from the neighbors. I'm thinking of something like we have in our homes over the stove: with a hood, filter, exhaust fan and flex ducting. Something I can put in the corner of my patio, power up during my pipe time, and either filter or vent away enough smoke to keep the neighbors quiet. The parts can be inexpensive and easy to assemble. I just want to know if any one here has ever tried to build something like this for an exterior patio. Thanks for any input.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and python

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Well, you are in California, so the culture is somewhat a known. How much privacy does your patio have? If you went to such generous expense to set up a really adequate ventilation system, some patriotic Californian might SEE you smoking your pipe and assume that was grounds for accusing you of poisoning them, their family, their pets and neighbors. Okay, okay, that's worst case scenario, but I would definitely visually screen your smoking corner at the same time you ventilate it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
One thing to keep in mind is our hobby is way stinkier then we can pick up on. What seems fine to you might be over bearing to another. I guess during your experiments you'll need someone with a sensitive sniffer to tell you if it's really working. If it really is that serious though, might be better not to risk it. And honestly I sympathize with the neighbors I've had apartments that get the smells of next door cig smokers clearly coming in.

Beach Man

Lurker
Jul 9, 2021
Well, you are in California, so the culture is somewhat a known. How much privacy does your patio have? If you went to such generous expense to set up a really adequate ventilation system, some patriotic Californian might SEE you smoking your pipe and assume that was grounds for accusing you of poisoning them, their family, their pets and neighbors. Okay, okay, that's worst case scenario, but I would definitely visually screen your smoking corner at the same time you ventilate it.
Haha. All kinds of neighbors. Thin walls. Some scared by the sight, some by the odor. Hiding is a good idea. Thanks

M

MARC52

When I smoke a pipe I barely get a wisp of smoke from my pipe while smoking but I sure as hell wouldn't be firing up any latakia blends on the balcony, that smell travels far and wide and will definitely get complaints from the neighbors, maybe even from neighbors the next building over. rotf

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Most exhaust fans are measured in cfm (cubic feet per minute) of air moved. So your space is 8x8x15 = 960 cf. Now just decide how often you want/need that volume of air removed from your area.

Keep in mind these numbers are ideal. Some air will come in from the open front (A LOT) and reduce the efficiency of the smoke removal (i.e. not removing the smoke but sucking in and removing air from outside).

Just some thoughts. Good luck!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
You need to look into 3 stage Hepa Filters. They are rated by how much volume of smoke they move. I had 4 of them in my pool hall back in the day. I would think 1 1500 CFM unit would be an ok unit. Do your due due diligence before buying anything. Careful of the Electrostatic units as they don't move air, worth a shit. You also might want to just get an Ozinator which doesn't move the smoke, but it kills the smell in a big way. I had a top of the line unit that cost me around 400.00 and killed the smell for 27 years straight with no issues. It wasn't very big but it killed the smell like an animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.