PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
It's possible, yes. But it requires adapting the technique a little or a lot, it depends. Only you can really tell, since each one of us sips differently: someone's smooth draw might be too open for me. Let your tongue tell you.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I actually really love smoking pipes built for filters but I smoke them without the filter and the adapter. Makes for a lil extra cleaning but worth it in my opinion. So yes, smoke the pipe without the filter and don’t worry about an adapter either... unless you want to of course. They smoke great and have a nice open draw!

Reactions: BenMatt and J.GANDY
Sep 4, 2019
East TN
Ive got a couple few 9mm pipes and 1 6mm pipes, I tend to smoke them filtered, but when I dont I just pack a little tighter, never have any complaints about the draw

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nothing to add, but the previous posts have it right. Some pipes designed for a filter do better than others without a filter, and this is based mostly on personal preference. An adapter will tighten up the draw just a bit, and/or make it a little smoother, but I think most pipes do well, with or without. I have an Austrian pipe, a Kemperling, with a 9 mm filter that smokes as well without the filter. With Savs I mostly use an adaptor.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
My vauen billiard smokes great without it's filter. Also have a Altinay meerschaum that I've never put a filter in either. Give it a go and see how it works for you.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I have a Savinelli I smoke with the adapter (I don't like filters of any kind). It's fine with the adapter, and for me, too open of a draw without it. If you bought it new, your Savinelli should have come with an adaptor (just a little plastic tube that fits in). If you don't have one, you can find 'em on tobacco sites. I remember getting a 5 pack of 'em on smokingpipes. Search for "savinelli 6mm adapter"