PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

V92C

Lurker
Jun 16, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I am about 10 day into my pipe smoking journey
I have a Sevinelli 321 with a 6mm balsa filter. Very hard for me to smoke if I change to a carbon filter will it help or make no difference on the pipe draw.
I have a Peterson Aran Fishtail which I have no problem smoking.
I just wanted to see the difference between a filtered and non filtered pipe
There is the definite chance I just don't know what I am doing
Just looking for suggestions

Last edited by a moderator:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Are you not inserting the balsa far enough into the stem? If you don’t, it will plug your draft hole.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I smoke mostly unfiltered pipes. When I go to one of my few filtered ones, I almost always have a moment somewhere in during the bowl when I ask myself "is this restriction a bad pack, or a clogged filter?".

V92C

Lurker
Jun 16, 2020
I smoke mostly unfiltered pipes. When I go to one of my few filtered ones, I almost always have a moment somewhere in during the bowl when I ask myself "is this restriction a bad pack, or a clogged filter?".
I will check the pack

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The Savinelli filter is somewhat like the Brigham system I believe. If that is the case, you should immediately be able to tell if the filter is in wrong as the stem won't fit in the stummel.

It could be that the bowl is packed too tightly.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Toss the “filter” in the trash. Those little balsa sticks don’t actually filter anything. They’re really just a moisture absorber. Any Savinelli I’ve ever had, or any filtered pipe for that matter, I toss the filters first thing. They cause more trouble than they’re worth.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Toss the “filter” in the trash. Those little balsa sticks don’t actually filter anything. They’re really just a moisture absorber. Any Savinelli I’ve ever had, or any filtered pipe for that matter, I toss the filters first thing. They cause more trouble than they’re worth.
those balsa sponges are expensive, too.

Reactions: petes03

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I recall reading a tip from a forum member, I think it was @mso489, that filters are useful for times when you smoke more bowls than usual, such as a pipe club meeting or other similar event. The filters can help to prevent tongue burn when smoking many pipes in a relatively short time frame. I have tried this on a few occasions and found it to be true in my limited subjective experiments with filters.

That said, I generally don't use filters and have found them to be more trouble than they are worth if I'm just smoking a bowl here and there.

Reactions: V92C and BROBS