PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With that off my chest, let me say, there are a few good uses for filters even for people who mostly don't use them, like tuning down the nicotine if you are smoking a lot more than usual, sampling at a pipe club, pipe show, or pipe shop. You can use a filter to tame a really strong blend to sample it, or to tamp it down a little for your own pleasure. I feel filters reduce the taste and the nicotine and result in my smoking more, so the net benefit is lost. Also, I hate one more accessory to buy and keep on hand. Pipe smoking should be a simple pleasure as much as possible.

Reactions: Smoked69

tenton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 8, 2019
You have to gently press the filter into the stem, blue cap towards you, in order to set it in place and ensure there's a seal and that the thing won't rattle. That's by design. You can't just throw it in there. I used to do the same thing and the rattle drove me nuts; then I read the instructions and slapped myself a bit with a large trout.

I tried gently and not so gently pressing the Dr. Perl filter into the stem every which way trying to seat it into the supposed conic stem many times, but nothing. Maybe I had a bad one, maybe just me?

If you use the adapter instead, you also have to gently press it into place like a filter. Again, that's by design, and that's why non-Vauen adapters, which lack the rubber inset ring won't work: you won't be able to secure them in place and they'll rattle and let smoke pass all round them.

Ditto the drilling: it's not wrong/poor drilling: Vauens' off-centredness is by design as well.

I had a straight Canadian not a bent stem pipe. Was referring to the draft hole entering the bowl off to one side, not in the center, when looking straight down into the top of the bowl. It was also drilled low, but that's open to debate as some makers deliberately drill low (ie. Il Duca) but is not to my liking. In the end glad it went away, as I posted in another post, if all of the air/smoke goes through just the filter, it reduces the draw more than I like anyway. Thank you for your reply.

View attachment 36323

Vauen adapter (note the rubber ring that creates the seal when the filter is pushed into place):

Vauen_Tabak_Side_WM__96897.1348139841.jpg

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
I use Stanwell 9mm activated charcoal filter mainly because I can get 200 for 12.50 euros from Estervals.They seem to have a tighter fit than many of the others.I change them after two smokes they work very well.I have a lot of 9mm pipes because I like Vaun and Stanwell pipes. I have now started using Elephant brand 6mm charcoal filters in my cobs and Savinelli 6mm pipes.

Reactions: Ted Vig

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Very interesting. I did not know about pushing the vauen filter into place. I have one vauen and it smokes great with the filter without that “trick”. Will need to pay attention to it. Just received an estervals order after a 6 week wait (which isnt too bad). New vauen in there in addition to lots of tobacco.

Reactions: Ted Vig and olkofri

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I am curious, for those of you that use filters, how long you leave them in? For example, the Dr Grabow filters say to change daily. When I have used any filter 9mm, balsa, what have you, I've discarded after one smoke. They seem to get too gunked up with any more than that. Thoughts?
I only smoke four bowls or so per week and I clean my pipe after each smone. If you use balsa filters, I recommend waiting for the pipe to cool, then pull out the filter to dry as they will likely be quite WET, and clean your pipe. I then cut off the dirty end of the filter to use it again. I can usually get 3-4 smokes per balsa filter depending on the blend. Cutting off the end improves the flavor for the next bowl. I also run the pipe cleaner down the edges, especially in the grooves of the 9mm balsa ones.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I only smoke four bowls or so per week and I clean my pipe after each smone. If you use balsa filters, I recommend waiting for the pipe to cool, then pull out the filter to dry as they will likely be quite WET, and clean your pipe. I then cut off the dirty end of the filter to use it again. I can usually get 3-4 smokes per balsa filter depending on the blend. Cutting off the end improves the flavor for the next bowl. I also run the pipe cleaner down the edges, especially in the grooves of the 9mm balsa ones.
Do you notice any 'ghosting' when re-using a balsa filter? That's the reason I normally toss them after every smoke even when they're not saturated or even look quite clean and barely moist: I always smoke something different every time.

Ted Vig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2019
Saint Paul, MN
The one filter not mentioned amongst the 9mm variety is the Vauen Papyrate filter. It's like a large grabow filter but the core is more like dense cotton with a hole all the way thru. It collects moisture but doesn't restrict the draw. They're good without altering flavor much.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
For me, filters always changed the tobacco drastically and I never use 'em. I have a Savinelli, and used the insert they provide if you want to forgo the filter. Works, but another thing to clean. For the MM cobs, I don't like the excessive (to me) airflow if you don't use a filter, and I absolutely won't use the filters, so I make sure I get the MM cobs that are listed as unfiltered to begin with (which means no Country Gentlemen, but Pot O' gold is a good non-filtered sub for that one).

Reactions: Clovis

Clovis

Lurker
Jun 8, 2020
I don't use filters, but your helm looks great! Lines looks really clean, is it an Aesir?

Haha much thanks! An Aesir helm is top notch, but this is the brilliant work of Douglas Pryor. Thanks for noticing, do you own a piece of art from Aesir Metalwyrks?

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
I've not yet gotten myself an Aesir, but I do have a very nice Brizio helm. It's a full-face tank, keeps me from going full Humpty Dumpty.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Toss it. Filters suck, and don’t really “filter” anything.
I used to think that too. Untill I started really drying my tobacco. And I still get juice coming into my stem. The filter blocks juices and bits of tobacco.
I go through many of them.

Clovis

Lurker
Jun 8, 2020
Made the attempt with Savinelli balsa system, on a MM Bent Country Gentlemen. Issue was, I had swapped the stem for a Vermont Freehand forever stem. So it shoved the balsa all the way into the shank. Pulled out the shank (seems it was held in by the fit, and glue), removed the balsa piece, and used the original stem. Reinserted a new balsa piece halfway between the stem and shank, and it works like a charm. I like it very much, actually. Doesn't restrict the flow in any noticeable way, which I was surprised about. I'm sure I will one day try the Brigham maple system (I have been eyeing an inexpensive System Rusticated 26S from Brigham), but I am happy currently.

Thanks again, everyone!

Clovis