PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
I smoke a few pipes that I use paper filters in (Medico, Grabow), and I mostly smoke Brigham pipes that use the rock maple distillator system - which is a wood tube "filter" of sorts - However, I have friend who is a fellow-piper who uses no filters whatsoever.
In general, what is your preference: Paper Filter, Wood, or, None? - Sherm Natman

Jan 8, 2013
No filter for me. I don't even use an insert in my pipes that take a filter. It makes for a more open draw that I sometimes enjoy.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
OP, you will find many threads on this over the years, and the results always the same. Some folks absolutely hate them. Some enjoy them. Others like me, like the wood filters like on Brigham pipes, but don't care for the charcoal 9mm canisters.
There is never any consensus here :)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have never smoked a pipe with a filter and have no plans on ever doing so. I have owned 6mm and 9mm pipes and smoked them all without filter or adapter and they all smoked great.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I use no filters except for the Brigham version of a filter. That I use only half the time

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I deliberately choose filter pipes on occasion for the open draw experience (Stanwell 95s, for example), but I never use a filter of any kind.
I mean no disparagement to those who filter. Do what you enjoy. :puffy:

Mar 5, 2019
Tried the balsa filter in my savinelli... just don’t understand it. KILLED my draw. Felt like I was gonna get a hernia trying to get a smoke out of the thing. No filters for me!

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
When I first started smoking my savs I used balsa in all of them. Felt it cooled the smoke a bit. I don’t use them anymore in any of them, now that I’ve got my cadence where I like it.

The maple filters in the Brigham’s aren’t too bad. I feel it doesn’t restrict the airflow too much so I still use them because I have them. Probably wouldn’t purchase more for the future though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I tend to buy pipes with no filters, including Savinelli and their Rossi series that come without them. With 6 mm filter pipes, balsa or paper, I tend to install adaptors. When I occasionally use filters -- balsa, paper, or 9 mm charcoal -- it is for some particular reason, a strong blend I want to tone down for that one smoke, or if I am going to smoke a lot more than usual as at a pipe show or pipe shop. But my use of a filter is rare. I don't want extra accessories like filters, moisture rings, or stones. I moderate my exposure by moderating my number of bowls.

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
In general, what is your preference: Paper Filter, Wood, or, None?
None. There are enough accessories/parts involved with pipe smoking as is; I don't need to add a filter on top of it. :)

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
Back in the early ‘90s I was in a tobacco shop on East Bay St in Charleston, South Carolina, and I asked the filter question to a lady who ran the shop she said, “do you want your tobacco to taste like wet toilet paper?” I assume she was referring to paper filters but I agree with the sentiment. I smoke unfiltered, same as when I smoked cigarettes.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Paper filter in the Cobs, balsa in my Savinelli and no filter anywhere else. Love all configurations

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I smoke several pipes that take filters but I do not smoke them with a filter or an adapter. I like the wide open draw they provide and the reverse Calabash effect.

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
When i buy MM pipes I always buy the filtered and smoke them without for the same reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.