PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabe

Lurker
Mar 9, 2015
Does anyone on the forum have any ideas on making filter adapters out of wood, other than Balsa?

Thanks

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No, but let me help pin down the question. You don't want to make a substitute filter out wood; you want to make an adaptor to eliminate the filter, such as the ones usually made out of plastic that come with Savinelli pipes for one example. Am I on the right track? I would think there might be some sort of tubing of appropriate diameter that could be sawed or cut to length, but I don't know what it would be.

wannabe

Lurker
Mar 9, 2015
Yup, correct! I'm wanting to figure out how to replace the Savinelli adapter. If it would be possible with a wood specie, or only some type of plastic??

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Using dowel of appropriate diameter, it would be possible to drill it out. Depending on the wood, it might or might not be durable. In my experience, the plastic ones are not heated enough to cause any problem or impart any taste, so I'm not sure this is worth the effort, but it is possible, and somewhat easy, if you have a steady and precise hand.

Jan 8, 2013
I don't even bother with an adapter. I just take out the filter, leave the out the adapter, and smoke it as is. More open draw that way. Usually improves the smoke.

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
^^ I agree. Never had a fully satisfying smoke with either balsa filter or adapter, but it goes perfectly well leaving it out.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've always just left the filter out. I found out later that there were adapters for the purpose, but it seems unnecessary to me. Have you tried your pipe just without the filter? You might find you don't need it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.