Status
Not open for further replies.

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
Hello all,
I was lucky enough to win a Rattray’s The Bruce Pipe online (like the one below) and it arrived today. Very happy with it and love the shape and colour.
Minor problem though: I usually smoke with a 9mm charcoal filter and don’t intend to change from that, but on fitting into the stem, it’s loose, despite the pipe being a 9mm.

So the question is does anyone know a fix to make the fit of the filter more snug? Or have experience with this pipe?

At the moment when I draw on it the filter bounces back and forth between the briar and stem inside the pipe which isn’t a major deal, but is frankly damned annoying after 10 minutes...
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• EC21E9E3-A808-4A13-8140-9D4CEDB5C973.jpeg
    EC21E9E3-A808-4A13-8140-9D4CEDB5C973.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: jpmcwjr

tenton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 8, 2019
I once wrapped tape around a 9mm Dr. Perl filter that rattled so it was a snug fit in the pipe. All of the smoke was forced through the filter and restricted the draw a little more than I liked, so went back to the rattling filter.

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
I once wrapped tape around a 9mm Dr. Perl filter that rattled so it was a snug fit in the pipe. All of the smoke was forced through the filter and restricted the draw a little more than I liked, so went back to the rattling filter.
As a slowly quitting cigarette smoker a tight draw is actually something I quite like, but I can see why it might bug others. I did consider something on the filter, but I’m perhaps a bit lazy to wrap a filter every time.
Hopefully there’s some way I can modify the stem to hold it.. Currently considering trying to shorten the chamber somehow I think.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
I have a 9mm that I opened up a bit to accept the Denicotea 9mm crystal filter.Since doing this,the normal 9mm filters fit loose.But,after smoking a few minutes,the normal filter expands from moisture and heat,and the rattle stops because the filter is now tighter.Try a 9mm Denicotea filter also,it may fit more snugly.Building up the inner diameter of the tenon with epoxy,then dressing it down to the desired tightness may also work.Or try sending it out to a pipe repair man to fit a new tenon.Just some ideas.

Reactions: Crawley1066

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
I have a 9mm that I opened up a bit to accept the Denicotea 9mm crystal filter.Since doing this,the normal 9mm filters fit loose.But,after smoking a few minutes,the normal filter expands from moisture and heat,and the rattle stops because the filter is now tighter.Try a 9mm Denicotea filter also,it may fit more snugly.Building up the inner diameter of the tenon with epoxy,then dressing it down to the desired tightness may also work.Or try sending it out to a pipe repair man to fit a new tenon.Just some ideas.
Thank you for them! I’ll definitely see if I can get a denicotea and give it a whirl. The best Perm fix I can think of without changing filter brands is inserting a drilled piece of black acrylic rod into the stem. I did think of the epoxy but thought it may run a bit. If I can get a black rod drilled that’d be quite a solid thing to fit. Thanks again for the ideas.

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
Just thought of something else....try a slight push/twist motion to drive the filter home once the filter is into the tenon.This may seat the filter,so it doesn't knock around.Happy smoking.
Thank you! I did think of that too last night and give it a go. Shone a torch down the stem and the 9mm chamber is drilled flat. I would’ve thought they’d chamfer it so you could do that but apparently not.. :/

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
I would’ve thought they’d chamfer it so you could do that but apparently not.. :/
If you have needle files on hand you could round that out yourself starting from the middle and working out. I'd lean more towards @samuelgawith01's recommendation and build it up with epoxy though, to avoid runoff go with the stewmac 30 thick or 20 medium. I use the 20 medium black on stem repairs and let gravity build it up towards the tip to reform buttons, it'll only run if you put it on verrry thick and I suspect you only need a few hundred microns or so to get it tight.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
Wedge a piece of pipe cleaner in the side. Should stop it moving around...

I was reading down to see if this was suggested although I'd tweak your thought and replace pipe cleaner with a sliver from a balsa filter, since they easily split apart just using your nail etc you can make it any thickness and its something that was designed to sit there anyway

Jun 9, 2018
England
I have the same problem with a few of my 9mm pipes, the fix I use is to push one of the ceramic end caps in slightly then fan the tiny bit of exposed tube outwards. Takes about 5 seconds and you end up with a snug fit whatever the make of filter.

Reactions: Crawley1066
Status
Not open for further replies.