PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Been reading about Fillmore. Says it doesn't have any flavoring. But it definitely has very intense taste. I haven't had that many Va/Per, but this blend seems more intense in taste than any other Va/Per I had before. Didn't know it had trace of lat, but others think it does. Now thinking about it, I can taste it.

So, does it really have no topping?

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Yes, it is a beautiful blend!
I am not much of a Latakia guy, but Fillmore really trips my trigger. I have been enjoying an 8 oz tin from the initial release, it is very fruity and smoky. The Lat is noticeable but maybe only in the fullness of taste. YUM

Reactions: bullet08

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Fillmore has no topping and is the strongest Va/Per in the GLPease lineup. It also happens to be my favorite Va/per.

If you haven't tried many Va/pers before, Fillmore can seem quite overwhelming. It's Red Va's and a hefty dose of perique. The latakia for me only provides a very slight smokiness to the blend. I don't ever taste the trueness o latakia in it though. More like a dusting was added.

The flavor you are experiencing is strong partly because Red VA's are pressed into flakes with a large amount of perique, which meld and mix the flavors together. Both types of leaf are strong in flavor by themselves.

Another strong Va/Per is C&D Bayou Morning-- the flake version is better than the ribbon cut, and it contains some bright VA leaf. C&D Bayou Morning is very peppery, more harsh and has more hay-like notes to it. Fillmore is a super smooth to me with the addition of the small trace of latakia and only red VA.

B_Rock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 11, 2020
San Jose, CA
I'm a big Fillmore fan - it was the first Va/Per that I tried after smoking primarily English blends so the hint of Latakia didn't bother me. It was my gateway to a variety of Va/Pers and after trying several, Fillmore is a much fuller Va/Per, accentuating both the sweetness of the Virginia and the spicy, plum/raison of the Perique. The tin I smoked was a couple of years old so maybe a little age makes a difference.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I love it. Sweet red Virginias, fruity perique with spice in the back, and a little somethin' somethin' to kick it over the top.

Reactions: Jwebb90

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I just picked up a 2 oz tin of this in a recent order. It came with two years age on it already (dated 9/18). Reading everyones descriptions is really making me excited about opening it. Strong, richly flavored VaPer? Sounds like it's right up my alley!

Reactions: Jwebb90
Status
Not open for further replies.