PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
This value-priced pipe came with a pack of Amphora Kentucky blend a couple years back, it has been a great smoker so far ...I never minded the fills at all, but noticed one has popped out. Is this something I should have repaired or should be able to do myself? My initial google investigation did not provide the insight I was looking for. Cheers!

D7977D63-7B00-449A-AAB8-BCE5C0AEFE66.jpeg

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Won’t hurt anything. If you like the way it smokes I’d ignore it and keep on keeping on.

I really don’t mind fills on inexpensive pipes (unforgivable on high dollar or premiums pipes IMO though) but would almost rather see the natural pits personally.
Totally agree - it's a natural product, I appreciate the 'flaws' ...tho I agree, I would feel different if this was a $125 pipe rather than a $25 pipe (that also came with a pouch of decent tobacco haha) puffy

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Just be mindful, if you do decide to fill it, the common recommendation of briar dust and cyanoacrylate (super glue), the fill will dry very dark, and draw too much attention to the fill. Something light, maybe even plastic wood, that can be matched with regard to stain would be better. Not sure if that fill is big enough to use the cyano fix that it won't look too dark.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Just be mindful, if you do decide to fill it, the common recommendation of briar dust and cyanoacrylate (super glue), the fill will dry very dark, and draw too much attention to the fill. Something light, maybe even plastic wood, that can be matched with regard to stain would be better.
I'd just try a color match with a Crayon for something that small and press it into the pit to fill it then buff it with a paper towel until smooth.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think I have four or five pipes with visible fills, but none of them have ever come out, and I'm hoping saying this won't jinx the deal. I have four of the old Iwan Ries house pipes made by Benton, with fills, and these are about 30 years old, and no problem. They look good; you have to pay attention to see the fills. Depending on the brand of pipe, fills often stay in for a lifetime. My point is, with many brands, fills falling out aren't a problem.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
This value-priced pipe came with a pack of Amphora Kentucky blend a couple years back, it has been a great smoker so far ...I never minded the fills at all, but noticed one has popped out. Is this something I should have repaired or should be able to do myself? My initial google investigation did not provide the insight I was looking for. Cheers!

View attachment 188960
Every briar pipe from a Dr Grabow to a Dunhill is an old, cured, and preferably aged chunk of burl from the roots of a heath tree that grew on a rocky hillside around the Mediterranean. Sand pits in briar are only cosmetic flaws.

Three quarters of a century ago Lee made absolutely perfect, flawless pipes that cost ten dollars at the time.

Today about thirty dollars buys a survivor that looks like this.

C32BC87A-9AE5-4978-AB34-6C9A32AF9760.jpeg

Leave your pipe alone, and buy a Lee to smoke around company, is my advice.:)

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I'd just try a color match with a Crayon for something that small and press it into the pit to fill it then buff it with a paper towel until smooth.
I bought some stain pens that came with a set of fill crayons and gave this a try on my MasterCraft with the missing fill. It worked great. I just gradually scraped the crayon across the pit until it built up and was filled in flush, then buffed it. It is much less noticeable now and probably looks as good as the original fill.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I bought some stain pens that came with a set of fill crayons and gave this a try on my MasterCraft with the missing fill. It worked great. I just gradually scraped the crayon across the pit until it built up and was filled in flush, then buffed it. It is much less noticeable now and probably looks as good as the original fill.

It's cool to know this option exists - thanks for the heads up!