PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
As I’ve stated in some other threads, I’m VERY new to this. I’ve taken some advice coupled with some research I’ve done and ordered the following tobaccos. I was hoping someone could look at this list and ‘fill in the blanks.’ Basically, analyze the list and make some suggestions for areas that aren’t covered.

To be fair - my wife picked a lot of these. She doesn’t smoke and went off the names. I figured having her involved was better than having her lose her mind when they showed up. Who knows? I may end up liking some of them.

Peterson Nightcap - 1.75oz tin
Peterson Early Morning - 1.75oz tin
Peterson 965 - 1.75oz tin
Peterson Sherlock Holmes - 1.75oz tin
Mac Baren Black Ambrosia - 3.5oz tin
Cult Militia - 1.75oz tin
Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding Barrel Aged - 4oz tin
Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding - 2oz tin
Sutliff Private Stock Maple Street - 1.5oz tin
C&D Sunset Harbor Flake - 2oz tin
C&D Autumn Evening - 2oz bulk
Mac Baren Vanilla Cream - 3.5oz tin
Lane 1-Q - 2oz bulk
Sutliff Maple Cavendish - 2oz bulk
Sutliff Frosty Mint - 2oz bulk
Sutliff Christmas Spice - 2oz bulk
Sutliff Chocolate Mousse - 2oz bulk
Boswell's Best - 2oz bulk
Boswell Apple Strudel - 2oz bulk
Boswell Christmas Cookie - 2oz bulk
Boswell Hunter's Choice - 2oz bulk
Boswell Maple Leaf - 2oz bulk
Boswell Pennsylvania Dutch Treat - 2oz bulk
Boswell Northwoods - 2oz bulk
H&H Anniversary Kake - 2oz bulk
Russ' Candy Cane Cocoa - 4oz bulk
Sutliff Pumpkin Spice - 2oz bulk
H&H Caramel Apple Pie - 2oz bulk
Russ' Cinnamon Roll - 2oz bulk
Sutliff Coco Creme - 2oz bulk
Scotty's Salmon River - 2oz bulk
Vermont Meat Candy - 2oz bulk
Peter Stokkebye 400 Luxury Navy Flake - 2oz bulk
Peter Stokkebye 403 Luxury Bulls Eye Flake - 2oz bulk
Sutliff Sweet Virginian 707 - 2oz bulk
Comoy's Cask 4 - 2oz bulk
Dunhill Nightcap 2-3 years old - (3) 50g tins
Frog Cooper 1993 - 50g tin
McClelland 2018 Anniversary - tin
McClelland 2011 Christmas Cheer - tin
McClelland 2016 Christmas Cheer - tin
Dunhill (Murray’s) Nightcap - (10) 50g tins
Dunhill (Murray’s) Early Morning Pipe - (7) 50g tins
Dunhill (Murray’s) 965 - (5) 50g tins

Last edited:

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Great list! That's a lot of aromatics. It's a dessert buffet. (I don't know what "Vermont Meat Candy" is, but I want it.)

You got some VAs there at the end. I really like the PS LBF.

However, I believe you need some burleys and burley-heavy blends:

Solani 656 Aged Burley Flake
Sutliff Ready Rubbed Match
Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut
Daughters & Ryan Two Timer
C&D Old Joe Krantz
C&D Pegasus
Prince Albert
Carter Hall
Chatham Manor
etc.

Burley burley burley is my suggestion.

Search the forum and find many other burley recommendations.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Your list is very aromatic heavy. The holes will be in the other categories. Here’s a short list I would also explore, just to perhaps kick off interest in the other areas. They’re all easily and readily available.
  • Sutliff Ready Rubbed Match (Codger burley excellence)
  • Presbyterian (Light Oriental forward English)
  • Balkan Supreme (The only Balkan you really need)
  • Peterson 3Ps (Real plug Va/Bur that is more than the sum of its parts)

Reactions: Chasing Embers

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Thanks for the information.

Yes - very aromatic heavy. My wife got starry eyed like she was at a Starbucks.

I’ll start digging into some of your recommendations and likely get another order in soon.

For what it’s worth, I’d prefer to shop from Pipes and Cigars UNLESS any of you can point me to a forum sponsor who offers free shipping to Alaska. Otherwise, P&C seems to have the best prices I can find when I factor in the free shipping...

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Great list! That's a lot of aromatics. It's a dessert buffet. (I don't know what "Vermont Meat Candy" is, but I want it.)

You got some VAs there at the end. I really like the PS LBF.

However, I believe you need some burleys and burley-heavy blends:

Solani 656 Aged Burley Flake
Sutliff Ready Rubbed Match
Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut
Daughters & Ryan Two Timer
C&D Old Joe Krantz
C&D Pegasus
Prince Albert
Carter Hall
Chatham Manor
etc.

Burley burley burley is my suggestion.

Search the forum and find many other burley recommendations.

Two Timer Regular or Gold?

Old Joe Krantz Regular/Blue/Red/White?

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Two Timer Regular or Gold?

Old Joe Krantz Regular/Blue/Red/White?
I've only had Two Timer Regular. It's not like a lot of other burleys you get. It's uncased and comes dry. Some use it for RYO cigs. It's good in a pipe, too.

You'll have to look at the OJK descriptions and see what works for you best. OJK Regular has higher nicotine than Blue. My next order will be Blue.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Nice, adventurous list. I would spend the little extra to upgrade to the Spec. Reserve on the SPC Plum Pudding. I believe most folks would say the up charge is worth it. Those Murrays are definitely superior (IMHO) to the current offerings but, will be difficult to obtain. In lieu of this, I would recommend the Sutliff Match offerings. They are the closest things that are currently available.

Jun 23, 2019
Thanks for the information.

Yes - very aromatic heavy. My wife got starry eyed like she was at a Starbucks.

I’ll start digging into some of your recommendations and likely get another order in soon.

For what it’s worth, I’d prefer to shop from Pipes and Cigars UNLESS any of you can point me to a forum sponsor who offers free shipping to Alaska. Otherwise, P&C seems to have the best prices I can find when I factor in the free shipping...

Oof. I'd be extra careful and check every tin when you get them. P&C is notorious for not packing their shit properly and DOA goods.

That's a very impressive list you have going on there already, but the idea of an "Instant Cellar" is a weird way on getting into pipes that often ends in burn out.

Reactions: logs

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
As I’ve stated in some other threads, I’m VERY new to this. I’ve taken some advice coupled with some research I’ve done and ordered the following tobaccos. I was hoping someone could look at this list and ‘fill in the blanks.’ Basically, analyze the list and make some suggestions for areas that aren’t covered.

To be fair - my wife picked a lot of these. She doesn’t smoke and went off the names. I figured having her involved was better than having her lose her mind when they showed up. Who knows? I may end up liking some of them.

Peterson Nightcap - 1.75oz tin
Peterson Early Morning - 1.75oz tin
Peterson 965 - 1.75oz tin
Peterson Sherlock Holmes - 1.75oz tin
Mac Baren Black Ambrosia - 3.5oz tin
Cult Militia - 1.75oz tin
Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding Barrel Aged - 4oz tin
Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding - 2oz tin
Sutliff Private Stock Maple Street - 1.5oz tin
C&D Sunset Harbor Flake - 2oz tin
C&D Autumn Evening - 2oz bulk
Mac Baren Vanilla Cream - 3.5oz tin
Lane 1-Q - 2oz bulk
Sutliff Maple Cavendish - 2oz bulk
Sutliff Frosty Mint - 2oz bulk
Sutliff Christmas Spice - 2oz bulk
Sutliff Chocolate Mousse - 2oz bulk
Boswell's Best - 2oz bulk
Boswell Apple Strudel - 2oz bulk
Boswell Christmas Cookie - 2oz bulk
Boswell Hunter's Choice - 2oz bulk
Boswell Maple Leaf - 2oz bulk
Boswell Pennsylvania Dutch Treat - 2oz bulk
Boswell Northwoods - 2oz bulk
H&H Anniversary Kake - 2oz bulk
Russ' Candy Cane Cocoa - 4oz bulk
Sutliff Pumpkin Spice - 2oz bulk
H&H Caramel Apple Pie - 2oz bulk
Russ' Cinnamon Roll - 2oz bulk
Sutliff Coco Creme - 2oz bulk
Scotty's Salmon River - 2oz bulk
Vermont Meat Candy - 2oz bulk
Peter Stokkebye 400 Luxury Navy Flake - 2oz bulk
Peter Stokkebye 403 Luxury Bulls Eye Flake - 2oz bulk
Sutliff Sweet Virginian 707 - 2oz bulk
Comoy's Cask 4 - 2oz bulk
Dunhill Nightcap 2-3 years old - (3) 50g tins
Frog Cooper 1993 - 50g tin
McClelland 2018 Anniversary - tin
McClelland 2011 Christmas Cheer - tin
McClelland 2016 Christmas Cheer - tin
Dunhill (Murray’s) Nightcap - (10) 50g tins
Dunhill (Murray’s) Early Morning Pipe - (7) 50g tins
Dunhill (Murray’s) 965 - (5) 50g tins

Since you are considering a wide selection of tins from Pipes and Cigars, then I would strongly encourage you to take a look at their "Battle of the Blends" offerings. They basically pair up blends in either pouch, bulk, or tin formats and offer them together and a reduced price from buying each one individually. It's a very good deal and great way to get a lot of different blends and a discounted price. They have changed some of the pairings recently, but this was exactly how I started my own cellar. Of their many battle pairings, take a look at the following tins to help "fill in the blanks" on your list:
  1. Louisville Slugger - Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired Flake and Orlick Dark Strong Kentucky - Old Dark Flavored is fantastic and a MUST; I haven't yet tried the Orlick, but it's supposed to be very tasty as well and a bit less strong (it's on the list for this week)
  2. Fire Fight - Mac Baren HH Acadian Perique and RO Fire Storm - Both are really good Va/Per blends that are quite enjoyable
  3. Saved By The Bell - Bengal Slices and SPC Plum Pudding - Not necessarily my personal favorite English blends, but really good and well-respected examples of the style - and at a GREAT combo price!
  4. Heavy Weight Pugilism - Orlick Golden Sliced and Hearth & Home Slow-Aged Bright Night - The Orlick Golden is damn good; haven't tried the H&H Bright Night as this was a different combo when I got it, but the H& slow-aged stuff is supposed to be great
  5. Balkan Brawl - H&H Fusilier's Ration and Captain Earle's Stimulus Package - I would HIGHLY recommend just getting the Arango Balkan Supreme (bulk) as it is my favorite Balkan-style blend, but this is a good combo pick if you also want some diversification
  6. Coin Flip - Escudo Navy De Luxe and Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls - Can't go wrong with either of these and both with age nicely
  7. Sliced & Diced - H&H Anniversary Flake and Capstan Original - I haven't had either one of these, but my neighbor LOVES the Capstan and the Anniversary Flake is well-regarded
  8. Sugar Ray (Aromatics, although you already have many of them on your list) - Erinmore Flake and Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake - The vanilla is an excellent, subtle vanilla tobacco; haven't yet tried the Erinmore but it has a fruit essence
There are other combos in addition to the ones above, but I either have no personal experience with them and/or know far less about them.

Other recommendations available at P&C that you may want to investigate include:
If you order from Boswell's, also consider:
  • Boswell Northwoods is a favorite of their blends
  • Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Bob's Chocolate Flake
  • Samuel Gawith Full Virgina Flake
Other options for fantastic store blends include:
  • Watch City Cigar
  • Country Squire

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
What strikes me when looking at the list is the lack of Samuel Gawith and Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co blends.

SG St James Flake, SG Cabbie's Mixture, GH&C Dark Flake Unscented, GH&C Happy Bogie Unsliced, GH&C American Delight are must haves for me but you should explore their blends for yourself.

I would also add a Semois from Manil.

Reactions: dcon

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
That list scares my tongue! I'd pick up a few cases of Biotene.

I second (or third) the recommendation for some Sam Gawith/Gawith Hoggarth flakes.

Also pick up a few Rattrays, and you can't go wrong with many of the Dan Tobacco blends.

Lastly, pick up a package of each Sir Walter Raleigh regular and aromatic.

Reactions: dcon and logs

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
... the idea of an "Instant Cellar" is a weird way on getting into pipes that often ends in burn out.

I'd suggest caution as well. Don't start hoarding until you have an idea what you like. Pipe blends have a lot of fanciful names that sound good but don't represent what they really taste like--just marketing nonsense. You could waste a lot of money and tobacco buying a long list like that.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
That's a pretty nice list as it is. The last six are not in production but can occasionally be found on sites that handle consignment of vintage tobaccos. Be prepared to spend $75 to $120 per tin.

This is a list of what I already have. I’m looking for recommendations on how to add to it and fill in gaps.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Nice, adventurous list. I would spend the little extra to upgrade to the Spec. Reserve on the SPC Plum Pudding. I believe most folks would say the up charge is worth it. Those Murrays are definitely superior (IMHO) to the current offerings but, will be difficult to obtain. In lieu of this, I would recommend the Sutliff Match offerings. They are the closest things that are currently available.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Special Reserve Plum Pudding. I’ll take a look at it.

I already have the Murray’s in my possession.

Reactions: dcon
Status
Not open for further replies.