PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Any suggestions for files or sandpaper grits for thinning the bite zone in an acrylic stem?

What grit to begin with and how to gradually thin it up a bit?

I’m willing to experiment and if I jack it up it’s not a big deal. Inexpensive Ropp pipe that I actually like but the bite zone and button is just annoying me with the jumbo thickness.

Any input appreciated.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I start with a flat file made “safe” on one edge, so as not to eat into the button. Once I have it pretty close (slightly oversized), I start with sandpaper. The progression I use is 80 to 120 to 220 to 400 to 800, then micromesh pads (I forget their grits), then a gentle buffing on the buffer with pink no-scratch (be careful, acrylic will melt).

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Any suggestions for files or sandpaper grits for thinning the bite zone in an acrylic stem?

What grit to begin with and how to gradually thin it up a bit?

I’m willing to experiment and if I jack it up it’s not a big deal. Inexpensive Ropp pipe that I actually like but the bite zone and button is just annoying me with the jumbo thickness.

Any input appreciated.
Great question- I have been thinking of asking this question for a while but haven’t gotten around to it.
And thanks Country Bladesmith for the guidance.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I start with a flat file made “safe” on one edge, so as not to eat into the button. Once I have it pretty close (slightly oversized), I start with sandpaper. The progression I use is 80 to 120 to 220 to 400 to 800, then micromesh pads (I forget their grits), then a gentle buffing on the buffer with pink no-scratch (be careful, acrylic will melt).
This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

Reactions: LotusEater

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Yup, safe edge file, then a progression of sandpaper, I start with 240 on acrylic, and it smooths out fast, then 320, 400 or 500, and by then it should be looking pretty good. If you have a buffing set up, you can move to tripoli after 400 on acrylic. If you are using micro mesh, just carry through the series.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
I misspoke, meant to say Rossi. Great pipe but the bite zone and button are just too thick for my preference so I figured it would be a good project since the total investment is about $40.
Right on. I have a Rossi Notte lovat that has a surprisingly thin saddle stem and a nice button. Its acrylic as well. Rossi makes a pretty decent budget pipe.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Most "Masters" hit 4.0 mm as a maximum, and many shoot for a good deal less. There are a few notoriously bad stem makers out there, but only a few.

Reactions: OzPiper and Toast
Status
Not open for further replies.