PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I've tried the fold and stuff method a lot but prefer to rub the flakes into a nice shag, resulting a more consistent flavor.
Just finished watching a video with Per Jensen discussing how to prepare their LBF. I pulled out some five year old LBF and am blown away. Finally, it all come together and I was picking up flavors not found before when smoked as a shag. I also got more of a peppery flavor that had been non existent before.
Previously, I have had a "meh" reaction to LBF, thinking it was just too mild for my tastes and would often add McClelland Blending Perique to spice it up. Well, no more! Now I'm happy that I stashed a couple pounds in 2012.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
That LBF is supposed to get much better with age; several reviewers that I admire say so. But I never smoked any. But I do have ~100 tins of Escudo 3 y/o and older, but it is likely that I will never smoke any of them.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Luxury Bullseye Flake. Wait, nevermind, that is Stokkebye, not Mac Baren. :oops: But it was Per in the video. :)
Why not try the Escudo from time to time?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I think Per did a video some time ago showing how told fold and stuff Roll Cake or Dark Twist. I know there's a SmokingPipes video where he showed how he folds and stuffs the Mixture Flake. I typically fold and stuff flakes just like Per demonstrated.
The coins are a different animal. I've had good success with taking the edges of the coin and pinching them upward.
I do think, personally, it's a better smoke if you fold and stuff as opposed to rub it out. As Brian says it's my own opinion of which I'm the leading expert and you're welcome to it.

Jan 8, 2013
Mrenglish thanks for posting the link. Hmmm so he folds the coins differently than I've been doing. I've basically been folding just as I would any other flake, folding lengthwise, and then folding that in half and stuffing in the pipe... a little hard to do that with the coins because, well they're coins, not rectangular like other flakes. It still works for me though. But Jensen is simply taking two coins, laying one on top of the other and folding them once into a half moon shape and then stuffing. I plan on having some Bullseye Flake tomorrow already, so I'll give his way a try. :puffy:

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Thanks Anthony for typing it out for those of us (or maybe just myself) who want to know the method but don't really feel like watching a video!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Yeah, thanks, Anthony, because even those of us who watched the video probably couldn't see much, as Per does the folding outside of the frame. :?

Jan 8, 2013
Yeah, thanks, Anthony, because even those of us who watched the video probably couldn't see much, as Per does the folding outside of the frame. :?
True, as he does move his hands out of view of the camera as he does it. But while doing so he explains he's just folding it down the middle, and then stuffing. I'm looking forward to giving the method a try.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
This is too funny, earlier today I got some roll cake and had a smoke. It's from 09. I rubbed it out, got a nasty tongue burn. Now I know why. I will revisit this baccy and smoke it properly next time. And I guess any flake from this point on....@ mrenglish, my tongue thanks you....

Jan 8, 2013
I just roll them into a ball and pack them. No issues
First time I ever smoked Bullseye, that's exactly what I did... I forgot all about that. Was a decent smoke if I remember correctly. I'll need to revisit that technique.

eltice

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Thanks for posting that link Mrenglish!
Also, thanks for the written instructions Anthony.

Jan 8, 2013
An update.
just folding it down the middle, and then stuffing. I'm looking forward to giving the method a try.
And so I am, just as I said. I took two flakes as Per Jensen explained, and laying them atop each other, folded them in half once into the shape of a half moon and simply stuffed it in the chamber of a Moonshine Pipe Co. Deviled Egg.
Great pipe, by the way.
31882808_10216527000993890_7547850374938361856_n.jpg

It took three false lights to get it going, but has been burning remarkably well since then. Per Jensen was spot on in this method. I'm having a fantastic smoke, great flavor, and no bite.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
It’s hard to see exactly , but he just stacks two coins then folds them In half at the middle and stuffs?

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I’ve usually just rolled them up also. It’s a bit messy but it works. I’ll try this half moon technique tonight. Thanks for the info.

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
I must give this a try LBF is one of the few things my local B&M has to offer. And its for a very good price...about 4 dollars an oz!

Status
Not open for further replies.