PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I'm thinking about commissioning a meer and I know absolutely nothing about them. Who would you recommend and why? Price range? Lead time? Etc. Looking to have a Dall Sheep ram done and would like it as realistic as possible.

• Wow
Reactions: Reggie

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Did he say why it was impossible?

He did. Quoted from his message:

“Such curved horns can break even while I am making it, I cannot afford it.”

To which I replied, “Could they be attached to the head?” (Meaning throughout the curl to give them some more structural integrity)

He then replied, “Not possible.”

That is the extent of his comments on this project.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
He did. Quoted from his message:

“Such curved horns can break even while I am making it, I cannot afford it.”

To which I replied, “Could they be attached to the head?” (Meaning throughout the curl to give them some more structural integrity)

That is the extent of his comments on this project.
That's unfortunate. I would have liked to see it done.

Reactions: danimalia

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
With some of the intricacies I’ve seen carved into meerschaum, I can’t help but wonder if he just didn’t want to do it. I’m obviously not a meerschaum carver, but I’ve definitely seen more fragile pieces routinely carved, so that’ll likely be the last time I attempt to do business with him.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
He is correct. Any protrusion or extension on a meerschaum pipe must (for the sake of strength and integrity) wrap back around and reattach at some point to the meerschaum block. Having the horns just “hang out” there will likely cause the pipe to break either on the bench or in the shipping process to get it to you. IMHO.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
He is correct. Any protrusion or extension on a meerschaum pipe must (for the sake of strength and integrity) wrap back around and reattach at some point to the meerschaum block. Having the horns just “hang out” there will likely cause the pipe to break either on the bench or in the shipping process to get it to you. IMHO.

I’m not saying it wouldn’t be fragile, but the idea that it’s impossible is a bit far fetched, I think.

I don’t know a ton about meerschaum, but I do know I went off the deep end contacting carvers after he told me it’d be impossible and there are several who have said they can do it...

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I’m not saying it wouldn’t be fragile, but the idea that it’s impossible is a bit far fetched, I think.

I don’t know a ton about meerschaum, but I do know I went off the deep end contacting carvers after he told me it’d be impossible and there are several who have said they can do it...
I’ve done the same in my lifetime with not so good, long term outcomes. Sometimes hearing “Yes” after hearing a stern “No” is merely a force of personal will. Now don’t get me wrong, I believe a person should get what they want in life as long no one else’s rights are infringed upon in doing so. So as long as you’re not going to use said pipe for nefarious reasons, I say go for it! (Said with a wink and a chuckle)

I’d be very interested in seeing the finished product and the artisans skills.

Reactions: BarrelProof