PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
It sounds like there needs to be a national discussion in Canada over the treatment of wounded vets. That's unbelievable that they'd make them jump through so many hoops and still try to screw them over. I think every country has a sacred obligation to care for their wounded soldiers. If those men and women are willing to fight and die for their country then there absolutely needs to be a system in place to care for/help them when they are home. That's just the right thing to do. A country has failed when they see their own people, let alone their protectors, as simply expendable. Where is the honor? The compassion?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
It infuriates me when elected officials will eagerly send our men and women off to war, but then won't fund the programs to help them when they come back. It does my heart good to see cities stepping up to work on getting homeless veterans into housing.

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
Any society that turns it's back on those who have risked their lives to defend it are not worth defending.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
After ten years away, I returned to my country and didn't recognize it. I left in '87 and returned in '97. People are ever coarser, dumber, and thoroughly self-absorbed. I feel like I gave six years of my life for nothing. Most people disgust me. Our society is completely fucked.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
After ten years away, I returned to my country and didn't recognize it. I left in '87 and returned in '97. People are ever coarser, dumber, and thoroughly self-absorbed. I feel like I gave six years of my life for nothing. Most people disgust me. Our society is completely fucked.
I agree. The older I get the more I don't like people. Save for my family I find people to just drag you down with their bullshit and their drama.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Yep. When I was younger, when I'd think of what I wanted, I'd think of money, women, cars, etc.
I've had money, women, cars, 4,000 square foot house... I'm not bragging. Not by any means. I've left all of it, lost some of it, sold most of it, gave some of it away.
Now, when I think of what I want most, coming out the other side, I think I just want to be left alone. My family, my dog, my pipe, my books... I am content, now. I sleep well. In these things, I feel richer than Solomon. Life is good, and I am at peace with the notion that I just don't like people very much. ;)

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
There is something to be said for a place deep in the woods, 7500 ft in the Manzano Mountains of New Mexico. It is quiet here, and I deal with only the people I want to deal with. When bad things happen, the good folks take care of business.....and go back to being quiet. I enjoy dealing with fewer people at this point in life.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"There is something to be said for a place deep in the woods, ..."
Just remember what Daniel Boone said when he left Kentucky in 1799 and headed west for what would become the state of Missouri, "It's getting too damn crowded around here!"
Oh how I envy him!

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Most Veterans want to be left alone, I know as I get older I"m happy with myself. It's people who screw this country up, when I got back from S Asia, went stayed with my Grandfather. He was into politics and asked me to go register to vote. I never would have but for his asking. Now the man who ran the office was an overbearing man who lost his leg in Korea, made him a person you did not want to be around. I went and walked in the office, talked to the clerk and got the forms , asked about the Independent form, she told me most people register Democrat. I told her I"m not most people, get me the Independent form. She got it I filled it out and went in the back. Out comes Boss man, his name was Roy. He told me you can't register Independent, just Democrat, got another form and said fill it out. I said Mr Roy with all due respect if you don't turn my paper in I"ll jump over this counter and beat you to death with that peg leg. He turned my paper in, wasn't gonna take that crap after what I had been through in the service. Don't like Orginizations, Parades, Crowds. I want to be left alone.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I can remember growing up under the cloud of communism. I can remember that communism was the rationale for VietNam.

GW said we went to Iraq to free the Iraqi people, and plant the seed of democracy (when the other stuff failed to materialize). The seed of democracy is NewSpeak for spread disaster capitalism. The ONLY ones winning are the contractors and their stock holders.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
I don't know anything about any of the profiteering. It never concerned me much. I took care of my guys, and we each did what we had to so we didn't let each other down. We did our best to make sure everyone came home. Beyond that...
17_dunno.gif

jimbo69

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2014
So many things I could say. I was in the sand in Gulf.v1.0 and have had the displeasure of being spotlighted for it by the company I work for now. I didn't like it, felt disingenuous and was contrary to my reasons for joining. They are my own and never included aspirations of adulation that these wounded org spokespeople think we want.
The tearjerker commercials are pure profiteering. I know too many of my brethren that are still being screwed by the VA. Where are the commercials about that?
Ugh.. hope I didn't prompt locking this thread! :puffy:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I think he's kind of accusing you of fighting for capitalism, as opposed to risking your ass for your country and your guys. But, now I'm dragging us even further off topic than he is trying to do. My generation gets damned by the actions of the few. More than some of us, just pack our gear and went where we were sent, did the job and came home. We didn't ask for thanks and deeply appreciated, much more than I can say, the thanks we did get.
Some just see vets as the dupes of the rich. There's no convincing them otherwise and it's a waste of time to try. They just need to remember how they got their soapbox and the right to stand on it, pee down their legs and decry the system that allows them their freedoms.
I try to bite my tongue. Perhaps I take such talk a bit too personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.