PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
One last thought or comment.
This is the reason why I will always encourage a person to go in the direction of an artisan made pipe if they can. Every artisan that I know, or have met via a forum; understand these principles and apply all their skill and knowledge into applying all the science and if you like, 'pipe engineering' into each pipe they make.
Nuff said by me.

Reactions: mau1 and wyfbane

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Engineering in pipes is absolutely and easily quantifiable, and the idea that someone has the skill, presumably suggested in jest by saltedplug, of "looking into a pipe and determining its engineering" is bang on. In fact this happens a lot in the community, people at pipe shows carry flashlights to look into pipes, assembled and disassembled. What are they looking for?

As mentioned already, how the holes line up is important, smoothness of the drilling, funneling, slotting, the size itself of the drilling and handwork. This stuff adds up to more laminar flow of smoke, and that means less condensation, less gurgle. The smoke goes smoothly up the pipe, keeping all it's oils and esters in one big piece - the molecules we know as "flavor".

There are a few ways to skin the cat, whether you build a constant-volume airway, or believe (as some of us do) that a venturi-style airway is better. We can test these things in the shop, and ask customers their opinions. And make changes, and test them again. So "engineering" is the correct term in my opinion.

If one wants to know the condensation points, the turbulent points inside one's one pipes, it's simple. Smoke the pipe a bunch, then open it up. Whatever's covered in black gunk, there's your condensate.

Chris, good luck with it, glad to see you up and running.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Thanks guys for the kind words.
Olkifri - ummm, yeah, coming is all I can say.
onegoodbulldog - where be ye?
There's a really awesome artisan in Carstairs. I've visited him once upon a time.
Check out his pipes. They are truly amazing. Another good o'l Alberta boy.
The guy from Carstairs is a jerk.
Someone had to say it.
Good luck with your pipes.

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
Thanks guys for the kind words.
Olkifri - ummm, yeah, coming is all I can say.
onegoodbulldog - where be ye?
There's a really awesome artisan in Carstairs. I've visited him once upon a time.
Check out his pipes. They are truly amazing. Another good o'l Alberta boy.
Oh! I missed this reply.

I'm in Calgary, so I guess you'd have to be able to throw stones quite well but, still.

java3

Lurker
Jan 13, 2018
I always have to wish a "new to the biz person nothing but the best in all of their endeavors" in this competitive marketplace. One wouldn't think it is too competitive initially but, it is. When a new biz throws their hat into the ring it certainly appears to be a challenge to find their niche and make it profitable as well as enjoyable for them Best of luck to you Chris.

Java3

Status
Not open for further replies.