PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Nine! Wow. Our house cat turned into a raging maniac when we tried to adopt an abandoned young cat, otherwise we'd have more than one. But nine is hard to imagine.
they actually all get along pretty well! most important is how you introduce them.. which is very slowly. We always shut the new cat(s) in a separate room for a while then introduce slowly for short periods of time.

Jun 9, 2018
England
That's what I'm afraid of come spring. It's very tough for me to know what's best to do. Am a pretty firm believer that generally cats are better off being strictly indoor pets. Our local shelter is reputedly no kill but there are so many ifs involved in knowing whether that is the better option for them starting with if anybody would actually adopt them. I think they tend to seek shelter under our house and I've taken to leaving the side door to our unattached garage cracked open to give them that option for shelter. Even laid a tarp in the floor with a blanket on it for them. Tried to entice momma cat into our enclosed porch but it freaked her out. So, don't know if she'd adjust to that and unsure if she'd come to attach to anyone else. Seems like momma and her kitten don't want to be separated either.
If you're giving them some grub and water and the option of a little shelter from the elements then I'm sure they're very grateful.
It's worth having a cat or two about the place, you never know when one might come in handy...........

• Haha
Reactions: lawdawg and BROBS

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I’ve got two, both rescues. That’s all I need.
There is one that is in an alley behind the pub I visit. Being a known regular I get to use the back entrance and there is a big fluffy black cat called “Ace” that lived back there. He is fed by a lady and all the waitresses feed him too. He is pretty healthy and super friendly.
I noticed he was missing this past weekend and inquired.
Seems that one waitress took him home. I’m kinda glad, but I’m gonna miss him.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
My daughter and her husband were working in the garden one day and heard a thrashing noise coming towards them through some bushes. Turned out to be three kittens about 2 weeks old looking for some humans to shelter them. They were unable to find the Mom cat so they raised them along with the three they already had. One was adopted and they still have the other two some ten years later. All together they currently have five, all rescues. They also foster cats in the barn office when the shelter can't get them adopted immediately. One of their rescues was so traumatized by being declawed and abandoned that it took my daughter months of just sitting in the room with her and quietly reading aloud until the cat would come out from under the blanket where she hid. They are so close now that the cat sleeps either on my daughter's pillow with her, or tucked up against her side.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
We foster kittens through a local rescue. Since my wife works from home we usually get young, abandoned kittens who need bottle feeding and/or medical attention. Along the way we have seen many kittens go to good homes. We’ve also adopted two kittens who were too nervous to meet potential adopters. Currently we have our two cats and two foster kittens.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
yeah everyone wants to help until it comes to actually taking that cat from you! We have been lucky to rehome close to 20 that we have rescued, however we still have 9! Three are from a litter of kittens we bottle raised. So sweet.

I hear you. We have helped a bunch of strays find homes.

We currently have 6. All are rescues from outside. 4 are siblings that we found abandoned as newborns and we also had to bottle feed them. I said that we were going to get rid of them when they were old enough, but that was 14 years ago and they're still here ?.

There were originally 5 of them, but we lost one a few years ago. And I'm not looking forward to the hard days ahead (hopefully not for quite awhile) because the remaining 4 are the same age.

I wish I could do more, but damn it's expensive taking care of so many.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
yeah everyone wants to help until it comes to actually taking that cat from you!
Wife feeds about 6 every day. Got some to a shelter and adopted out, but now they are overwhelmed and will not take any.It's funny, our little Jack Russel mix loves them and they think she is a Goddess. The second she goes out they come running. They are her groupies...

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
@python No kidding man. We just lost our oldest one (previous owner was going to dump him on a farm) and those last months got incredibly expensive. One thing that saves money and obviously everyone do your own research but IMO indoor cats really only need their first set of shots. (Rabies & distemper/booster). It’s basically been shown that these vaccines will last a pet’s lifetime.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
@BROBS I agree. We don't really take them to the vet unless something (or we think) something is wrong. Once you get them checked out and hooked up when you get them, as long as they are indoor only, they are normally good to go.

Feeding them though, that's another story :ROFLMAO: .

Unfortunately, one of our other ones has diabetes and went blind due to blood pressure. So between her insulin and her blood pressure meds, that costs a mint. But what can you do, they have to be taken care of.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
I am a big time cat rancher. I won't say how many in doors that are not allowed out, but the outside ferals amount to a good dozen. I was a big game hunter and other things. in my old age I am finding life - all life - rather precious. The out door cats are primarily cats that their owners deemed disposable when they moved. They did not ask to be alone, hungry and scared. Below is one of three we had to bottle feed until weened.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
My daughter and her husband were working in the garden one day and heard a thrashing noise coming towards them through some bushes. Turned out to be three kittens about 2 weeks old looking for some humans to shelter them. They were unable to find the Mom cat so they raised them along with the three they already had. One was adopted and they still have the other two some ten years later. All together they currently have five, all rescues. They also foster cats in the barn office when the shelter can't get them adopted immediately. One of their rescues was so traumatized by being declawed and abandoned that it took my daughter months of just sitting in the room with her and quietly reading aloud until the cat would come out from under the blanket where she hid. They are so close now that the cat sleeps either on my daughter's pillow with her, or tucked up against her side.
Our lone indoor cat was a stray that glommed onto me when we moved to our current home over 7 years ago. She too had been declawed and either abandoned or escaped, though neighbors claimed she had been a "community" cat since very young. When we learned she was homeless, we immediately adopted her. So wish it would work out to bring the other 2 in but don't see a practical way to it.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
We live on an urban green belt that is home for various critters and varmints. It also supports a feral cat colony and my wife homes 4+ a year. It can take 6 months to 2 or more years to get to the point they trust enough to be a house cat but my wife has a way with them, they trust her. This last summer we took in 5 at once and it has been a cross between a carnival and a ballet. We have homed the first 2 recently.
The mother, Beni.
The mob, Benjamin, Benedict, Benito and Rosie (in the back).

We have 3 other permanent cats, two feral that ended up staying with us and one “planned cat”, a pure breed British Shorthair.
Patrick (a rescue) and Bindi ( British Shorthair).

Great work gentlemen, good to see so many others making a difference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.