Sep 20, 2019
FWIW we had a cat live to 20 years on the landpuffy
well taken care of and ornery as spit;)

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
what "buried instincts" do these animals that humans created by selective breeding have?

they were created to "entertain humans" and pest control, before modern times.

as I stated.. feral cats outdoors, yes are best left alone but cared for.
now cats that are tame are another story.. and those are the ones to which I am really referring.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I fed a beat up alley cat one time a couple years ago. Now he lives at my house and is probably sleeping on the couch as I sit here wrapping up my tasks for the day at work.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
It is true that outdoor-living cats average a shorter life than indoor ones.
Yes but they are much happier! If you don't plan on having an outside cat, never EVER let them out. Because the first time you do, they become addicted to going outside. Which I can't blame them, I'd rather be outside too.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
There is a huge gap between feral cats and house only cats. Feral cats I've been around are wild, tough, and will tear you up. Our cats are completely tame, pampered, loved, etc. They just have more freedom, and have been taught by their mom to be mousers. They freely come in whenever they want to.

Last summer I was working on my laptop on the porch smoking my pipe. The male cat was hanging out watching hummingbirds. Two started doing their mating dance off the porch, and he went flying across and swatted both of them out of the air. He took a big roll, but they flew off. I laughed out loud at him. He glared at me for a minute, and went ripping off down in the meadow. 2 minutes later he came back with a live mouse. I swear he kept eye contact with me while he ripped it apart and ate it. Yep, you are a killer, buddy. And a lover. I love those kind of cats.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
We had a cat show up at our house one day, made friends with the kids and decided not to leave. No collar, but we hoped she was straying from a neighbor's house. She stayed outside on the porch at night, and we fed her. We hoped she would go home, but she did not. Maybe she got dropped off...there were never any "missing cat" signs posted nearby. So, finally, we invited her in and she never left. I'm allergic, and took allergy pills every day for the next seven or so years. Kids named her Sabine, and she was a marvelous addition to the family.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
Do you have any animal "friends" that aren't per se pets?

There's a gray cat that lives in the alley behind my office that always comes out when I smoke a pipe. I keep bags of treats inside the door for him. He won't let me pet him, but he seems to like the company when I'm out there. After eating his treats, he coils up nearby and watches me smoke until I go back in.

My assistant thinks i'm ridiculous, but I make her toss some treats outside when i'm not there lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.