PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
The FDA is accepting comments regarding it's role in defining and making exemption for premium cigars in the proposal to further regulate tobacco products. I believe it is in our best interest to encourage and submit information as it pertains to our passion.

Please comment, there is a link on Cigar Afficiados webpage and I assume through other means(most convient for me). Here was my submission

To Whom It May Concern,
Premium cigars are considered to be the designation for cigars and tobacco products that are intended to be blended and manufactured under special conditions to articulate unique and desired flavors and aromas to be used for hand rolled cigars and hand blended pipe tobacco. These processes dictate hand processing and time honored knowledge and education regarding tobacco varieties, structure, attributes, flavors, combustibility, nicotine, aroma, fermentation, etc. which ultimately culminates in what is to be considered a premium cigar (tobacco product, premium pipe tobacco, hand made). These processes require hands on labor intensive preparation and moderate machinery to facilitate product consistency and safety as well as knowledge passed on through generations of family trade.
While the tobacco industry as a whole relies on a combined knowledge of the nightshade family of plants, premium tobacco products are intended for those who has a refined palate and who enjoy the flavors and heritage of fine tobacco products that are savored and valued far beyond a nicotine "hit". I've spent a short part of my life working in a cigar lounge and a vast majority of the patrons were not young smokers. They were generally in there 30's and above. Young smokers would come in from time to time and often be overwhelmed with the advanced nature of the premium cigar industry and would often never be seen again or be very infrequent. Young smokers would also not be as easily persuaded to spend more money on premium cigars and pipe tobacco often showing financial restraint when compared to the average cigar smoker who was knowledgeable and selective as to what they valued in there cigar of choice. Pipe tobacco is even more selective in its use among young smokers. Youth, when considering valid statistics, just do not smoke pipe tobacco. A vast majority of premium tobacco users are very absent minded about tobacco pipe smoking unless they smoke a pipe, and those who do are few and far between. However, the passion that is shared among pipes smokers and premium cigar smokers is bar none. The value that is placed on the unique nature of these hand blended select tobaccos is truly special.
All people understand the risks of smoking. No one is misguided or uneducated as to the harmful nature of smoking. There is more to it than that. Alcohol abuse, opiate addiction, obesity plague our nation. No one forces you to eat fat, unhealthy foods. No one forces you to drink alcohol and destroy your liver. Everyone understands the risks, personal reasons for use may vary. Ultimately its user choice.
Do not change the labeling or take away the manufactures right to design a product how they see fit for sale. These products have been around for 100's of years and history isn't a bad thing. When i buy a "coke" or "big mac" or "organic beans" I expect nice concise informal packaging. I expect the packaging to be appropriate for it is, as such making a product different in order to explain the obvious is absurd and unnecessary.
In conclusion I am a former Army veteran and currently in school for Respiratory Therapy, I smoke briar pipes and absolutely love it. I smoke cigars and like them very much. I don't like the idea of taking away my ability or rights to have products that i desire which are legal and available, especially something I regard highly and truly appreciate. The craft, care, love, and labor associated with the "premium cigar/tobacco" industry is bar none and is time honored, celebrated and respected. Unique, ireeplacable, and undienably a choice that should be the "peoples" and no others.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
It's a nicely done letter. I would have succumbed to the temptation to say, "The fat, bloated politicians who keep you imbeciles employed like to smoke premium cigars in back rooms while being stroked and fondled by high-dollar lobbyists. You might want to leave premium cigars alone."

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
You are preaching to the choir maduro but then again, the choir always LOVES a great sermon!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a good response. Do you have a link that gives the mailing address at the top for comments? I might trot out something. Here are my suggestions for others. Assume good intentions on the part of the reader, whoever that may be. You are going to do more persuading if that is the tone than if you sound adversarial, and for all you know, the person might agree with you in advance, or be sensible but tilt to the other side but still understand your points. Summarize your major point(s) in the first paragraph. If they are just making tick marks for a tally, that will make your point clear. Keep it brief; a page is good, two thirds of a page is better. In many cases, a half page will suffice. Don't do anything expansive unless you are being paid. Although it is debatable, I'd do a print-out and send your response by mail, for durability. What's on paper is more likely to get more than one reading.
My only criticism of the text offered is that I feel the idiom "absent minded" is being used in an unusual way; i'm not sure what you mean. But your points over all are clear.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
Very nicely written. I just wish there was such a thing as common sense when it comes to law making and the differences between cigarettes/chew and pipe/cigar tobacco. Money is the only thing that talks it seems.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It's a nicely done letter. I would have succumbed to the temptation to say, "The fat, bloated politicians who keep you imbeciles employed like to smoke premium cigars in back rooms while being stroked and fondled by high-dollar lobbyists. You might want to leave premium cigars alone."
I agree the OP is nicely done, but I prefer your statement. I'd possibly add "Is this the same FDA that approves aspartame, a known neurotoxin, in soft drinks, children's candy and dozens of other products?"
My personal stance is I will not write anything because I consider the FDA to be a rogue organization, and I will not legitimize the process by participating in it.
Assume good intentions on the part of the reader, whoever that may be.
Assuming anyone at the FDA actually reads these emails, then I would agree that it's at least possible the functionary reading it may have good intentions. But at the decision making level there are no good intentions...just an agenda.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
Thanks everyone, I wrote that very impromptu and just wanted to make sure everyone is aware that there is an outlet for our voice. Trust me when I say that I could be more aggressive and insulting but my hope is that someone with power(care) will actually get the message.We all know how that goes though

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2018/03/26/2018-06047/regulation-of-premium-cigars#open-comment

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Consider this, that if there is someone in the discussion of the empowered who is making your/our case for principled reasons or otherwise, your good clear reasoning expressed in an effective way may provide fuel for our side. As with everything these days, the sound byte might have more power than several paragraphs, though the sound byte might be couched in brief paragraphs, if it stands out. I try to avoid cynicism, though I feel plenty. Drooping around under the weight of cynicism invites defeat. People aren't going to jump aboard to join us in gloom.

Status
Not open for further replies.