PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I've been intrigued by this blend for a long time. Does it live up to the hype? Are the HU tobaccos in general worth the extra effort and shipping costs of placing an Estervals order? I've began the process several times but never completed a checkout. I'm intrigued by several of their blends but definitely don't want to blind buy in bulk.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
From the chatter I’ve heard around here the HU blends are not the same as they were a few years ago. However, I am not sure if everyone would agree with that.

To me the juice never felt worth the squeeze, so I’ve passed on ordering any.
all tobaccos aren't what they were a few years ago. Problem with plants they don't seem to care about growing to our commercial specifications.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
The specific HU related complaints that I've heard were about Director's Cut, a blend of Vas, DFK and Perique. See @jiminks' review on TR. Jim believes that the Perique content has been lowered or somehow changed so that the DFK is now more pronounced. I've not heard specific complaints about other HU blends. Fayyum does not contain Perique from what I can tell so there's no reason to believe it has changed.

For what it's worth, I don't know if the Director's Cut that I have is from before of after the change, but I can say that what I have is a singularly unique blend that is greater that the sum of its parts and does not taste like any of its constituent leaves . It simply stands on its own.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The Director's Cut I am currently smoking is from 2014. I don't when they changed it, but when I bought some last August, I quickly noticed the reduction in perique and further addition of DFK. Makhuwa has less chocolate topping. Those I know from my experience. A good friend and fellow reviewer noticed Old Fredder's has less perique now. I don't what else may have changed.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The Director's Cut I am currently smoking is from 2014. I don't when they changed it, but when I bought some last August, I quickly noticed the reduction in perique and further addition of DFK. Makhuwa has less chocolate topping. Those I know from my experience. A good friend and fellow reviewer noticed Old Fredder's has less perique now. I don't what else may have changed.
Are you certain that’s the ingredients or just age? The dfk actually tastes more prevalent to me in the aged Directors Cut. I’m just finishing one of the original tins, different label than present. I can barely taste the perique.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Does it live up to the hype? Are the HU tobaccos in general worth the extra effort and shipping costs of placing an Estervals order?
Yes, definitely.
HU is one of the most dynamic and creative blenders currently in play.
That said, to be cost effective from the U.S., a larger order than is customary for many is needed to make it pencil out. You can easily do this by adding in tins of Capstan, Samuel Gawith or Salty Dogs at substantially less that domestic prices.
All is well and good as long as all is well, however, if your purchase is transatlantic there is an increase risk of something going south and you need to assume some greater risk than a domestic purchase.
Personally I’ve made multiple orders successfully, however, since COVID, everything is admittedly more complicated, more so when the USPS is involved. There is at least one lengthy cautionary thread detailing one forum members’ tobacco Odyssey with the USPS and Estervals.

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
2020 purchases but my pipe palate only began 1 year ago so... [ ] <-- that's the grain of salt emoji too small to see. Fayyum, Flanagan, and Louisiana Broken are repeat orders of mine. Enjoyed Old Fredders and really enjoy Louisiana Broken. Director's Cut was good but reproducible with the Rattray's VaPer's to my tastes, so while good not worth cellaring deep to me. I pulled some out of the front portion of the cabinet in pic below. I'll be buying more HU blends.

20201114_211007~2.jpg

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
Also as @peregrinus mentioned orders for me were nearer $300+ each with Capstan Blue added because I love that as well. Salty Dogs was another I was looking for future orders as mentioned to help 'offset' shipping. The cautionary thread about shipping concerns should be considered. We all must determine your own risk levels. As I said I'll be ordering more but will wait until early 2021 for mail/shipping to calm a bit.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If you're going to make a buy from Red stervals, as mentioned, make it big enough to amortize the shipping. You can get Directors Cut in 1 kg bag at a great price. I'd also recommend Dockworker, Flanagan, Manyara, Makhuwa, Nashville County, Louisiana Broken, Fayyum Cake and Joschis Oriental Sunrise. Haymaker and Sunset Flake are nice Virginia blends but not as good as some other Virginia offerings out there.

You can buy Capstan in 450 great bags at a great price. One of my favorite VaOr blends is Dan Tobacco Ascanian No 1, it can be purchased by the tin or in bulk.

Just be aware there has been many shipping delays and difficulties from Estervals this year. I've stopped ordering from them until it has improved. To be fair, I've got most of what I want already so easy to lay off for awhile. One other note. When you're looking at Estervals site, you need to create an account and be logged in to see the discount pricing.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Are you certain that’s the ingredients or just age? The dfk actually tastes more prevalent to me in the aged Directors Cut. I’m just finishing one of the original tins, different label than present. I can barely taste the perique.
I smoked a lot (probably ten 100 gram tins) of the 2012-2014 tins when they came out, and my memory of them when fresh is very good. My original review of DC reflects my thinking at the time. And I am certainly not the only smoker who has noticed the change, e.g., @sablebrush52 being one on this particular forum who also noticed it immediately. And as I wrote earlier, Hans has noticed the change.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Having had HU Zulu and now smoking Fayyum (not Kake) I'm in the process of ordering 3 more Latakia blends from HU, really intrigued with Port Latakia as it appears to be a sweet Lat blend, which is exactly what I've been after for some time.

In an interview the blender (Hans Wiedemann) said Latakia is the leaf he's most intrigued by, and his favourite to work with. Certainly the two Lats I smoked from HU are outstanding.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
It may interest you to know that Hans Wiedemann himself believes it and he is the creator of the blend. It was not his idea, either. I recently discussed this with him so there's no doubt about it as far as we are concerned.

Right, that's useful. On another thread I'd said that we shouldn't put all the blame with K&K (the manufacturer of the blend) and @sablebrush52 objected - I was suggesting Mr Wiedemann must have had a hand in it but clearly I'm wrong. It doesn't sound very kosher though for the contracted manufacturer of something to mess with it like that regardless of the size of the industry, but particularly in boutique pipe tobacco where word of mouth and fora like this one are 95% of the marketing you need!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Right, that's useful. On another thread I'd said that we shouldn't put all the blame with K&K (the manufacturer of the blend) and @sablebrush52 objected - I was suggesting Mr Wiedemann must have had a hand in it but clearly I'm wrong. It doesn't sound very kosher though for the contracted manufacturer of something to mess with it like that regardless of the size of the industry, but particularly in boutique pipe tobacco where word of mouth and fora like this one are 95% of the marketing you need!
Hans did not know until I told him. He decided to check it out for himself, and agreed the change had been made by the manufacturer. It's still a worthwhile experience, but I prefer the earlier version. And I still give both versions four stars out of four.

When STG got their hands on Peter Heinrichs Curly Block, they added burley and decreased the perique content. It's different than the version Mac Baren was making. I asked Mark Ryan if he was selling less perique to Germany, and he said "no," but he was surprised when I told him what has happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.