PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
Me here in France I have several pocket knives, but finally

I often come back to my old Laguiole carbon steel and handle horn or ivory, or a carbon Opinel with deer antler handle.
I have others that I like also like Mercator or Citadel (French but made traditional in Cambodia)

Or some Italian knives that cut well sometimes a little stainless.

I do not like futuristic knives in general.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
Well...mine first off, lol, but rarely keep any I make. I like custom fixed bladed knives, and have a short list of makers I really like. I prefer classic designs like the puuko. For daily carry for myself, it's actually just a gerber folding utility knife that uses a simple boxcutter blade, I also have a very nice Laguile knife that I refound recently and been enjoying carrying it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Posted earlier, but just to say ... I really savor a good carbon steel blade, which is featured on my wood handled Laguiole and a smaller Opinel I have. In regular use, they stain and rust a little, but they sharpen and wear really well. My two are a little large for daily use. Like pipes, some of the favorites feel almost too "loved" to carry for fear of loss. Like pipe nails, lesser folding knives that do good work seem to have a homing instinct and never get lost. Right now I'm carrying a slender Remington brand pocket knife of a style some call "a physicians knife." It's just big enough to do many jobs; recycling boxes, for one steady task.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
" they stain and rust a little, but they sharpen and wear really well. " ----------------------
The blade of mine has passed the stage of the stain, it is dark gray / black... :D
( Morta handle knives, if you can see …)

http://www.couteaux-morta.com/a-propos/

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
In the kitchen a Wüsthof chef knife, always in my pocket a Leatherman tool, fixed blade afield a Condor a man gave me in Honduras after I helped him out of a difficult situation. Favorite knife song is Guy Clark's Randall Knife.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Pretty much any pocket knife suits me just so long as it has a Sheffield crucible/carbon steel blade.
Stainless blades as per Swiss Army Knives etc look nice but just don't take and keep an edge like carbon steel.
That said, I do have a Leatherman Wave on my belt for everyday use.
Regards,
Jay.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I carry a Microtech ultratech with a tanto edge every day at work for marking out joinery, opening boxes, and making my coworkers think I'm a lunatic. It was a (very expensive) treat to myself when I sold my second piece of custom furniture. It is extra super duper illegal where I live.
Before that the Kershaw chive was my daily user for a decade. It's a great knife and less than $50 to replace.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
Kershaw Chill is by far the best $17 knife I've ever owned. Speedsafe opening. I can't carry a good knife every day, because inevitably I need to abuse it. I've got much nicer knives for specific reasons, but I have 2-3 Kershaws for everyday use.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
I saw a guy sitting on the train last night with a samurai sword, so I guess my answer would be an esee or what that guy was doing. Nobody hassled him on the train, so there's that.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Moore Maker - Matador, TX
7rKnXgj.jpg

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
My EDC is a SOG Flash II if camping, hiking or hunting I like to carry the Winkler II SAR. https://winklerknives.com/collections/frontpage/products/wk-s-a-r?variant=7310677278743

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
I collect knives as well. I dont go for one brand, just anything that catches my eye really.

My EDC is a Kershaw with and Emerson wave function on it and either a Buck 110 or a CRKT bone handle knife for opening boxes and other crap like that.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I collect Benchmade, Spyderco (those made in the USA), and Zero Tolerance knives; both fixed-blade and folding. For the kitchen we use New West Knifeworks out of Montana. We have a Wusthof Blackwood block set and a few Bob Kramer Henckels, too. But the New West Knifeworks knives are really something.
When each child moves out on their own we give them a nice knife set, among other things. I believe cooking is more fun with a nice set of knives.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have had many our domestic made knives, sus as Iisac Jarvenpaa, Martiini but the best I liked was that Buck 110 Hunting knife now sold, moreover I deeply regret after having sold a beautiful Italian handmade switchblade-Stiletto, never would get another one like that,it was quite a big,with bone handle blade sharpened on both edges.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I'm happy to see all the love for Opinels. A simply-designed, inexpensive tool that performs its role excellently is a thing of beauty. My Opinel turned me on to carbon steel, and I now tend towards carbon rather than stainless.
That being said, my go-to woods / outdoor adventure knife is a Kershaw Leek: Amazon - Kershaw Leek
It's a high grade stainless steel assisted opener with a simple, basic design. For functionality, I like the side clip which I use to clip the knife into my pocket for easy access. When I'm holding a fishing line or something else I want to cut, it's nice to be able to deploy the Kershaw with one hand. This knife is definitely function over beauty.
Regarding beauty over function, I also have an old carbon steel toothpick style knife that was my grandpas. It was left in a toolbox that ended up in a non-climate controlled environment sometime in my grandpa's later years, and consequently the blade is pretty badly pitted. My grandpa never would have allowed that to happen, but it was beyond his control at that point. I'd like to get a Case small Texas toothpick (carbon steel of course) to replace it for regular use.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Switch blades are illegal in Canada , but a spring assist is allowed
Got an Ontario rat 1 , superb edc
8848a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.