PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Toasting is a social form, and it should be made clear beforehand by the host whether it is to be short eloquent sayings, or longer narrative story-telling. If long story telling is in order, like at a wedding reception, people need to know that, or if it strictly short bon mots that are wanted, that should be directly requested. Otherwise, people get furious with the story teller holding up supper and/or drinks, or some short toast falls dead on the floor where a long yarn is required. Don't just say, we'll toast, if you're the host. Tell people what you expect in advance. As a teenager, I had a painful embarrassment as a 19-year-old best man when I offered a short tribute where raconteur skills were required. When in doubt, always ask.

Reactions: varrj

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Embers started it, blame him. French Toast Recipe

Think slices, Texas Toast thick, of day old French bread. Day old being the key for the correct density of egg covered bread.
A really eggy solution (two eggs, maybe three, more than you normally use, a bit less whole milk.) with a touch of cinnamon, Whip it to almost smooth, eggs should be streaky in the mixture.
Cook, top with a bit confectioners sugar, Irish butter, and, pure, dark amber is my favorite. maple syrup. I assure you toast cooked this way will handle any of the toppings you prefer. Children should stick to sprinkles and such on Eggos and leave this for the adults.

My apologies for the short sidetrack. I'd feel guilty all night, toss and turn, if I deprived all of you of my personal recipe.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
And, here's one I learned in the 60s while vacationing in Greece, and staying near the American Air Base in Glyfada.
We'd meet the flyboys at the bar and join their toast:
"When my flying days are done, and from this world I pass,
I hope they bury me upside down, so the world can kiss my ass!"

Reactions: varrj

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Some nice toasts in here.

We always said malzeit before meals growing up, but another one is

We thank the Lord for what we have
For what we have we should be glad