PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
jcsnaps: I'm not a reloader. My wife says I have enough expensive habits, like producing metal bands and getting speeding tickets, but that is the coolest damn tamper I've ever seen! I like baskerville's too. That's sort of what's been bouncing around in my noggin.
Really, to make jcsnaps tamper, youd need an inert round (bullet and brass, available from ammo store or maybe cheaperthandirt.com) a piece of stock for the poker, a grinder to taper off the part of the bullet where the pokey thing goes into, a soldering gun, some solder or maybe even just epoxy, some simichrome to polish it... Hmm. totally seems doable! Most of that stuff may be available at Home Cheapo or even laying around the garage!

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
I don't reload either, but I picked up some .223 brass at the range. I looked at .308s, but they seemed to big, and the pistol shells were too short to house the pick. nm..The .303 shell would probably work well also. The "bullet" is actually a brass pick tool I acquired from the wife's sewing kit. It fit the shell almost perfectly and I shaped the brass of the pick to appear to be a bullet head. Next one I'll probably get some heads from a friend and try drilling and fitting the pick tool. The wife wasn't real happy to lose her sewing tool and the replacement was more than a tamper should cost. :oops:

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
Just ordered it off Etsy three days ago. Should be arriving any day now. So much better than the old screw I've been using since I lost my Czech tool.
il_570xN.250540933.jpg

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
I merely looking up smoking pipes, and more often than not I find a few tampers. The thing is, Etsy makers tend to make an item once, and then it's gone.
http://www.etsy.com/people/Soul2Hand
This is the good sir who sold me my tamper. He also has several rather nice estate pipes, one of which I may buy. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.