PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
Igloo Norwegian is an "American Blend" isn't it? Burley and Oriental along with the VA?

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I just bought some S.G. Kendal Creme. I believe I have another fav to add to my Virginias. Damn smooth Virginia.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Mick:
How "Gawithy" is it? Much Lakeland flavoring? Some say SG stuff is soapy.
RJ

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Jonesing you are right my bad ,but trust me not enough of the other to make a tinkers damn .The burley would be darker and you just dont see much of it in this blend .I have some pressed burley and the cube cut . just dont taste it in the blend .

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
You know I always hear that " soapy" thing about the lake land tobaccos. I have never tasted any soap taste. Maybe, that is just some knock against those brands that just stuck. Who knows. I just taste like great, smooth, creamy Virginia to me. Maybe, I am not sensitive to soap taste, because when I was a kid, I had my mouth washed out with soap so often :)

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Igloo: No doubt Norwegian is far from a burley bully. I think it even has a bit of cav which ramps up the sweetens just a bit and to me it tastes pretty much like 701 but maybe better and certainly sweeter.
Mick: What was your favorite flavor. Ivory? Dial?...maybe some Lava if you really wanted something with complexity?

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
There is no debate there is only one King of Straight VA's
Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake

FVF_02.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Yup, good stuff, no doubt. But the thread was about finding a Va. ribbon cut for an arthritis sufferer. Now, I'm still waiting to see if Phil has a paper shredder with which to make his contribution to science and humanity.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
What's the cut of Union Station like?
I ordered some but have not yet received.
I'm looking forward to it as a completely unmolested straight VA and it occurs to me it might fit the described need.
BTW: I wonder if Dudley uses a cheese grater on his flake before he puts it in his cheese jar.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
BTW: I wonder if Dudley uses a cheese grater on his flake before he puts it in his cheese jar.
Lately I'm trying not to get my cheese and tobacco preparation methods confused. It's messy business to rub out a block of Colby between palms.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
Thank you all for the feedback, gentlemen. I have become a recent fan of English blends in an attempt to broaden my tastes. A local tobacconist offers a straight VA that I was hesitant to try. After reading through the above posts, I will make a visit this week.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Straight Va is a good smoke. Just don't rush it. Made to be sipped and savored like fine moonshine.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I like a variety of tobacco types but straight Virginia is surely my main love affair when it comes to smoking. I always sip my Virginias and revel and that slow cool delivery of deep rich spicey sweetness. I often smoke a flake or 2 for an hour or 2. I sip and sip and let it go out, then relight and sip some more... Some of my favourite straight Virginias are Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake, Rattray's Marlin Flake, Fribourg and Treyer Cut Virgina Plug, McClelland Dark Star, Dan Tobacco Hamborger Veermaster, Dunhill Light Flake, Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake...so many that seem to be beyond reach these days.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I recently discovered a very nice blend at 4noggins called John Patton's Quadruple Virginia. It's a smooth, balanced, cool smoking ribbon blend. They also have a blend called Virginia Squire which is a four Va blend with the addition of 10% Burley.
Both are really good choices for arthritics who can't rub out flakes. It should be mentioned though, that FVF is easy to rub out, and it breaks into a nice shag-like ball if you use one palm against the other with a circular motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.