Status
Not open for further replies.

jrtaster

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2009
would appreciate your input/advice

looking for your recommendations of the best virginias you have yourself smoked

parameters:

- straight virginas only (no vapers or virginia +? blends)

- NO flakes, ribbon-cut, cakes or the like okay

- must be currently available

many thanks!

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I mostly smoke VA/PER blends and when I do smoke a straight Virginia, I normally go with flakes. Rattray Old Gowrie and Hal O' the Wynd might be up your alley. Hal O' the Wynd is on the strong side though.
Just curious, but why no flake tobaccos?

jrtaster

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2009
i have arthritis of the fingers and working a flake is tough. the fold and stuff technique works well for me in only a few of my pipes, for whatever reason. i do use the fold and stuff succesfully, however, with Escudo. john

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I can see how flakes would be a problem for you. Hopefully others will chime in with some more suggestions.
I will keep an eye out for other straight Virginia loose cut mixtures to post here.

analogmoz

Lurker
Apr 29, 2009
jrtaster,
This has been a fun quest, albeit frustrating; most Virginias are in the form of Krumble Kake or Flake or Plug as it aids the aging and maturation. At least I guess. But searching through several tin labels I realized that indeed there isn't too many Virginia tobaccos that are not pressed into some shape...
If you are not scared of African Virginias, which are of a different flavor and strength profile than the ones cultivated in the US, may I suggest some of the offerings from Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.? I really enjoy the Dark Bird's Eye, which is 100% Virginia, and as far as avoiding flakes--well, Dark Bird's Eye is a shag, which is about as far as one can get from a plug or flake!
Review on Tobacco Reviews:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=D&TID=1577
(Note: I reviewed the blend in question on the above link; I mentioned some possibility of their being Burley in it, I am now sure that there isn't.)
Best of luck with your searches, and keep us posted as to what you find! We love reviews around here.

jrtaster

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2009
thanks guys! i had tried hal o' the wynd sometime ago but found better va-per blends out there. based on the these suggestions i ordered some old gowrie and dark birds eye (which wasn't easy to find at an on-line retailer) and look forward to trying them soon. john

analogmoz

Lurker
Apr 29, 2009
Shoot! I forgot to attach a link as to where one could easily buy Dark Bird's Eye. Sorry!
I also should have just offered to send you some. Where are my manners? Us pipe smokers are supposed to be more genteel than the average, at least I think so. I've received two offers from perfect strangers to send me tobacco I'd not had, and I need to even the score!

Best of luck with the DBE. You'll likely find it quite strong at first. I did. I found, however, that even a week or two in a sealed glass jar did wonders for it. Either that or I got used to it. Who knows?

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Last night when I was responding, I forgot to mention something that will help you out a lot with flakes and plugs. An electric coffee grinder.
A few quick pulses in a coffee grinder will chop flakes and plugs easily into smokable size pieces. A coffee grinder can be purchased for somewhere around $20.00US and will open up all types of tobacco for you.
I bought mine for $19.00 and it works great.

jrtaster

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2009
an update and a few quick first impressions

at analogmoz' suggestion picked up dark birds eye and old gowrie

smoked a few bowls of the dbe in acouple of cobs. liked it, a lot, but honestly can't say why exactly. not the sweet virginia taste i might have expected, but nonetheless pleasant, not harsh, without any tongue bite. good nicotine hit but not as overwhelming as others had experienced. hard to light and keep lit. perhaps i overpacked it or didn't let it dry enough??

my petes were the pipes of choice for old gowrie. again, excellent first impression. sweeter than dbe and a bit easier to light. smoother too and tasty, but obviously needed to dry a bit more

thanks for the suggestions

and p,s, to python: i have used a mini food processor to prepare other flake tobaccos, with varying success

glad to know that with this hobby there's always so much to learn

best, john

analogmoz

Lurker
Apr 29, 2009
jrtaster,
I am glad you're enjoying the DBE. It's a good thing you didn't find it too strong--I was a little worried that I suggested a strong tobacco to someone looking for sweet Virginia!

It smokes better with some drying, IMO, and as to loading, DBE is a bit of a bugger when it comes to loading...some have "halved" it with scissors, I just got a hang of stuffing it in and cursing at the random tendril hanging over the rim of the bowl until it crawled back in.

If you've patience I suggest aging it in a sealed glass jar for a few months--the sweetness increases and makes for a more rounded smoke.
And Old Gowrie is a lovely tobacco for sure! It too benefits hugely from some aging.
I am glad your recent acquisitions were successes.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
I love S.G. Full Virginia Flake. It has a wonderful light plum flavor.

seilerjp

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
McClelland #5100 "Red Kake" a mature VA
Another device to simplify smoking flakes is the gentle use of an electric food chopper.
For portable device a "Tobacco Grinder" (may be used for other substances) can be purchased at truck stops, 7/11 etc. Remove the screen. Place the flake between the top teeth and the inside and turn it enough to get the broken flake you desire.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Reviving an old thread here in response to jrtaster's quest for a ribbon cut Va. because of the difficulty rubbing-out flakes for arthritis sufferers. If someone out there has some Va. flake and a paper shredder... maybe a cob-suckin' llama rancher willing to perform an experiment in the interests of science... arthritis suffering smokers the world-over could once again enjoy Va's. A contribution to humanity!

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
Well Cortez I don't know about cob suckin' llamas or any of that...
But a straight sweet VA in easy to use form that comes immediately to mind is PS VLC-701. Billed as ribbon cut but more like ready rubbed IMO. The sweetest untopped VA I've found.
Available in bulk at LBSS and P&C and many others.
A paper shredder huh? Interesting idea actually.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
A good ready-rub pure Virginia is Fribourg & Treyer Black Jack.
FT.jpg

Underneath the sticker, it says Negrohead. Don't know why, since if a person had that color hair, they'd surely be of European heritage.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
re breaking up flakes....what about a pasta machine? Anybody have one sitting in the cupboard (cause someone else, who shall remain unnamed, just had to have it)?
7154EBKjwXL_SS500_.jpg

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
My vote goes to PS 701 .Norwegian or the Danish can be rolled or rubbed in the palms of your hands very easily as it is a fine ribbon cut .Hey Jonesing and I agree and it is super cheap but not quality wise .It also jars real well in a flip bail mason jar .The Danish seems to have some dark flue cure . The Norwegian is the sweetest and has very little tonque bite .But the 701 ages the best .

Status
Not open for further replies.