PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
If asked I wouldn't say the bent billiard is my favorite shape. Yet I recently realized it is the most common shape in my collection. Got to thinking that maybe I don't really have a favorite shape. Thought I did but when I think about the pipes I own, generally I've bought them due to multiple factors with shape just being 1 variable along with such things as stain color, line of shank/stem, finish, metal accoutremonts, etc. I really wouldn't just want to buy a pipe in my "favorite" shapes unless it ticks off a variety of boxes. So, am starting to think I don't have favorite shapes but rather favorite pipes. Though will say there are shapes I definitely won't consider. So, where do you fall along this line?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
As much as I love freehands, volcanos, and blowfish, I have more of these.
20180903_225500.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
I'm sort of in the middle I guess. I have favorite pipes. But I also have favorite shapes within a brand. For instance, my favorite shapes in the Peterson lineup are the 106 and XL90, while my favorite shape by Savinelli would be the 320. Other brands might be completely different. L'Anatra's rhodesians for example I find quite lovely, or Stanwell's 139 which is an elegantly curved 1/4 bent billiard. A favorite shape in particular would be the danish style bent eggs, of which I actually have only a few. I love freehands, but those are for the most part (not entirely) dublin-esque in shape (I consider a freehand any pipe hand shaped without the use of a lathe). So I guess I'm a bit on both sides.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
The Savinelli 642, The Peterson XL02, 03, and 999 models. I'd have to say my favorite shape is a bent apple, hands down, but following up close behind are the bent bulldogs/rhodesians like the 999. I love the shape and don't own one, but I will....muahahaha, oh I will.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I love the Savinelli 122 bent pot, and although historically I've been very into the Zulu shape, I'd say my current favorite is a straight Poker where the shank joins the bowl pretty far down, kind of like the Dunhill shape.
9 times out of 10, I'm smoking a Billiard or a Bent billiard, though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd guess billiard (straight and bent for all shapes), Dublin, and bulldog. I enjoy and value many others, so I won't go through the list. The Peterson brandy B11 is a close runner up.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
My favorites are currently the bent billiard and the bulldog. I have a straight billiard but I find I prefer bent stems more and more.

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
Give me a classic Billiard Or Bent or a Bulldog and I am happy. Here are two of my current favorits:
DpLiC5dXoAAeaCj.jpg

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Anthony, can see what you mean about having certain shape preferences within brands. I, too, would prefer the 320 in a Sav line. That would be an example though of my preferring a particular interpretation of a shape as opposed to the general shape itself. Within the Peterson brand, there would be too many shape interpretations, finishes, etc,. that I prefer to itemize them. :lol:

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I have many shapes and sizes of pipes. But eventually I realized I like an apple/pot shape. Small pipes.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

The billiard is my favorite shape, and my favorite ones are early Dunhill's (20's, 30's, and 40's) and Kyriazanos'.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
Been into pipes for only 3 months and currently own only 9, but I gravitate towards bent pipes. My favorites right now are a rusticated bent brandy and a rusticated bent dublin sitter. I've been eyeing and liking some pokers too, and my favorite cob is a MM General. Just ordered a custom stem for it.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Lately I've been really interested in straight pipes...especially the pencil shank pipes (Scottie Piersel). I don't own a pencil shank pipe...yet!
My favorite pipe in my collection is this.

firstsmoke1-600x450.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.