SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
I'm going with Mercutio. He was the original scene stealer if you ask me. I had this high school English teacher Dr. K----e that at the beginning of freshmen year said I reminded her of him although after the first semester said I was lazy and arrogant which probably reenforced the idea. A few members here remind me of Desdemona and am curious if they self identify.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
While I have the complete works, I've only read a fraction of the plays and sonnets—something I should remedy at some point. I am fond of Iago's plotting and manipulation of Othello, but, it's been ages since I've read the play. I've most recently read Cardenio or the Second Maiden's Tragedy, which late autograph expert, Charles Hamilton makes an argument for being a lost William Shakespeare collaboration with John Fletcher, based on handwriting samples. Hamilton makes an interesting case. It's probably been fifteen years since I read that, though. I'll go with Iago for now.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's difficult for me to think of his characters as favorites, since the most developed characters are the most troubled, besieged, and tormented. I like Hamlet for his many insights and depth of thought -- "...so I have heard and do in part believe." Puck for his disdainful amusement -- "What fools these humans be." Polonius for his taking in so many audiences with his bullshit and nonsense, such that his "To thine own self be true" speech which people quote as serious advice, makes it clear he is one of the great gasbags of literature. I like Lear for his endless misinterpretation of his family relationships, sort of the paradigm of fatherhood's vanity gone sour, unto catastrophe. The best performance of Mercutio I've seen was at a local high school production. The kid had him so cold I wondered about his mental health, the perfect schizophrenic ramble perfectly dramatized. I guess Shakespeare is my favorite character, the mind behind the plays. He often reveals the whole plot in the first scene or two so you pay attention to how the narrative proceeds rather than doting on what happens.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
It's difficult for me to think of his characters as favorites, since the most developed characters are the most troubled, besieged, and tormented. I like Hamlet for his many insights and depth of thought -- "...so I have heard and do in part believe." Puck for his disdainful amusement -- "What fools these humans be." Polonius for his taking in so many audiences with his bullshit and nonsense, such that his "To thine own self be true" speech which people quote as serious advice, makes it clear he is one of the great gasbags of literature. I like Lear for his endless misinterpretation of his family relationships, sort of the paradigm of fatherhood's vanity gone sour, unto catastrophe. The best performance of Mercutio I've seen was at a local high school production. The kid had him so cold I wondered about his mental health, the perfect schizophrenic ramble perfectly dramatized. I guess Shakespeare is my favorite character, the mind behind the plays. He often reveals the whole plot in the first scene or two so you pay attention to how the narrative proceeds rather than doting on what happens.

You know Shakespeare well, MSO. This is a winning answer.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Ophelia was moistly my favorite, particularly as played by Helena Bonham-Carter.

I’d say only the good die young but Bill killed everyone in that play, lol.